Tranny swap complications... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Tranny swap complications...

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
boilermaker2010

Tranny swap complications...

I just swapped the transmission in my 194k 1999 WJ with a 42re for a 94k junkyard specimen out of a wrecked WJ.

It took me a month of spare time to swap it but all seemed great yesterday on the first drive of ~15miles, so I gave it back to the wife and sent her off to work today.But she called me within about 15 minutes and said she had a CEL and a engine miss, So i went and swapped vehicles with her and brought it home.

Symptoms:

-wreaks of unburnt fuel the whole time you drive it
-the new CEL indicates the rear o2 sensor is malfunctioning, I did remove and reinstall it carefully, it came out good with no beating
-It idles really low about 500rpm spits, sputters, misses, shakes, and nearly dies but doesn't
-It acts similar while driving too: has low power, misses and shakes
-The smallest amount of throttle to try to keep the RPMs up in neutral causes a quick surge to 2kRPM.

I just did NGK copper plugs, and a throttle body and IAC valve cleaning about 2000 miles ago and it ran great before the tranny install, so I really doubt its ignition related. Also no CELs before the swap.

I did everything VERY meticulously. No pulling wires etc. The one thing I am suspicious of because I cut a corner is the crankshaft position sensor. I just approximated its gap by feel and sight to about 1/8", didn't use a spacer. I just picked one up on the way home though. It seems that its almost got to be that because it should run okay with the rear o2 sensor bad, right? Any suggestions? Very disappointed currently.

boilermaker2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

What year was the replacement tranny? Sounds like limp mode, but if it wasn't a 99-00 tranny, it should also show the trouble lights. If it's a later transmission, you're probably gonna need to drop the valve bodies and swap the wire harness and solonoids.
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
boilermaker2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegWJ View Post
What year was the replacement tranny? Sounds like limp mode, but if it wasn't a 99-00 tranny, it should also show the trouble lights. If it's a later transmission, you're probably gonna need to drop the valve bodies and swap the wire harness and solonoids.
Thanks RedlegWJ,

The receipt shows its a 1999 and the VIN is: 1J4GWS8S5XC791953, is there somewhere in that # which validates its a 99? I'm about to go reinstall the crank position sensor with a Mopar spacer, really hope that takes care of it!

Please keep the help coming!
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
boilermaker2010

Just got done reinstalling the CKS with the official $6 Mopar spacer. It was 0.035" FYI. It started and still idled rough but I decided to drive it anyway. It hesitated at first but then drove great for a few miles, came back home and idled very smooth when I got back. So I took it out for about a 5 mile trip. Half way back it started missing and having low power and now idles and runs like in the first post.

I just keep thinking CKS because that's all I touched, engine wise. Guess I'm gonna have to replace it to take care of that

Can anyone describe limp mode; How it behaves? What causes it? How to recover from it?
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
boilermaker2010

Searched 42re limp mode. Don't think thats me, I've got all my gears

Also I Just:
-Checked all fuses, all good
-Turned the key on and off 3 times and the odometer said: done
That was just a guess, not even sure what that does lol

I should mention that I am having changing transmission problem too. I was just assuming it was getting worked in, may have been on the shelf for years. The fluid in it looked great and it was very clean inside and out compared to my old one. Its supposed to only have 94k miles.

1)At first I was having a slip at the end of 2nd while changing to third, but it is starting to go away.
2)The transmission is disengaging late when I come to a stop. It pulls the engine down to about 4-500 RPM then lets go and the idle comes back to 1000 and then it starts to missfire and stumble again a few seconds later.
3) I hear a light whine from the torque converter area at idle

Last edited by boilermaker2010; 10-16-2012 at 11:07 AM..
Unread 10-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

OK, it's been awhile since my swap and I forgot to add for you that CA emissions would also be different for 99. The later WJ's just went straight to CA emiss, I believe. If you're up for it, you could drop the pans and see whether the gov pressure sensors and their holding brackets are the same style.
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
Unread 10-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
boilermaker2010

CA emissions? I assume you mean California? You're in MI and I'm in NC. I just checked the fuses and did notice that I don't have one in the california o2 spot.

I will probably break down and end up checking the gov pressure sensor soon, just not today...lol

I've been reading some more, Would a bad torque convertor act like this?
Unread 10-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
boilermaker2010

Update:

Checked the power at the CPS connector with the ignition in the on position and got 5.19volts from either of the side pins to the center pin.

I checked the resistance of the CPS and got infinite, 1, across any of the combinations except pins 2 and 3. There I got 16000 ohms (16.xx in the 20K position) for a split second each time I touched them, then the meter when to 1.

I tried running it cold this morning but it still ran poorly after about 10 seconds. I did get a new code which was p0171 or "I'm running lean so I'm purposely overfueling". Seems like if it knew both things it could just fix itself, lol.
Unread 10-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
boilermaker2010

I have a borrowed scan tool that I just ran on it. With it idling like crap about 90 seconds after starting dead cold, its about 60 degrees out, these are my numbers:

S.T Fuel trim B1 32.8%
L.T. Fuel trim B1 32.0%
Intake M.A.P. 48Kpa
Engine Speed 833rpm
Ignition Timing 10 degrees
Intake Air Temp 17 C
Throttle Position 18%
O2S B1, S1 0.040V
O2S B1, S1 STF 32.8%
O2S B1, S2 0.080V
O2S B1, S2 STF 99.2%

Can anybody make sense of this?
Unread 10-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

I din't see whether you replaced the filter duirng any of this time? The 2-3 hesitation is generally the gov pressure sensor and/or solonoid. Some replace them for the fix. A filter change always alleviated my symptoms. I swapped in a used transmission also and had to re-use my original solonoids which now have over 300,000 miles on them, though I'm due for another filter change. The late downshifting also seems normal for these, but mine was also reduced with a new filter. The torque convertor groan sems normal when cold also. My current '04 tranny des it. My '99 with 250,000 never did it, though. Make sure none of your O2 sensor wires are laying on the exhaust. Change your in-line fuel filter. Clean your throttle body.
Unread 10-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
boilermaker2010

Some weird things going on todayÖ but Iím getting somewhere:

I removed the airbox and throttle body to check for anything out of order:
-Checked IAC, clean and OK, I have 5.19 volts at the connector
-Checked voltage @ MAP connector, 5.19v
-Checked voltage @ TPS, 5.19v
-Checked resistance of TPS, in 25k mode 1 @ closed 4 @ open, OK
-Checked voltage at B1 S1 o2 sensor connector, 4.25 volts
-Checked ground resistance @ B1 S1 o2 connector, 0
-Reset all codes and reassembled everything

1st start: runs rough still, gauges, warning lights, interior lights going crazy like never before, scan tool wonít connect
2nd start: Starts for 2 seconds and dies, gauges still going wild, scan tool wonít connect
3rd start: same thing
4th start: Same as 1st

I disconnected the scan tool, because It seemed like every time I hit the connect button, the gauges went crazy or did something different.

5th start: Starts and runs great, plug in scan tool and it connects, It drives great and I drive about 3 miles (no further one way then I wanted to walk home, lol) until warm, pull in the garage and it idles great. Now my o2 numbers look like this:

Engine speed 713
MAP 36Kpa
ST fuel trim B1 -2.4%
O2S B1, S1 0.420, moving around from 0.2 to 0.8
O2S B1, S1 STF -2.4%
O2S B1, S2 0.040V
O2S B1, S2 STF 99.2%

So now I have a reasonable o2 reading so I decide to drive it some more. It runs great and shifts great for about 10 minutes like several times before. Then on my scan tool I lose voltage on my #1 o2 sensor signal, back to the 0.040v and 32% fuel trim and it runs like crap. I crawled under and unhooked the #1 o2 sensor and the idle returned to normal. I was able to replicate the whole experience a little while later.

So Iím hoping a new NTK o2 sensor will fix it, and the electrical gremlins will go away. It was doing some wild stuff with every electrical component in the vehicle!
Unread 10-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
boilermaker2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegWJ View Post
I din't see whether you replaced the filter duirng any of this time? The 2-3 hesitation is generally the gov pressure sensor and/or solonoid. Some replace them for the fix. A filter change always alleviated my symptoms. I swapped in a used transmission also and had to re-use my original solonoids which now have over 300,000 miles on them, though I'm due for another filter change. The late downshifting also seems normal for these, but mine was also reduced with a new filter. The torque convertor groan sems normal when cold also. My current '04 tranny des it. My '99 with 250,000 never did it, though. Make sure none of your O2 sensor wires are laying on the exhaust. Change your in-line fuel filter. Clean your throttle body.
Yeah, of course I changed the filter. I used a Napa filter and Mopar ATF+4, It ended up taking 10 quarts.The shift problems have seemed to go away mostly with some use.

I just did a fuel filter, NGK copper plugs, K&N filter and a throttle body and IAC valve cleaning a couple months ago, its spotless in there.
Unread 10-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
rjaargo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ever thought about the PCM software for this trans you put in. They may both have a different software to run right. PCM's are programmed by VIN! As for the torque converter when you installed it was it pushed all the way on to the trans?? If not could have damaged the pump causing this noise you were talking about.
rjaargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
boilermaker2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjaargo View Post
Ever thought about the PCM software for this trans you put in. They may both have a different software to run right. PCM's are programmed by VIN! As for the torque converter when you installed it was it pushed all the way on to the trans?? If not could have damaged the pump causing this noise you were talking about.
That's exactly the the type of the thing I was wanting to know about, is it possible that two 1999 42res may not work in the same 99 WJ? What would I need to do? Have the PCM reflashed by the dealer?

Yeah the torque converter was pushed all the way in, 3clunks and a half inch from the front of the bell housing. When I put the TC to flex plate bolts in with the bell housing bolted up the TC was pulled back forward about a quarter inch.

Everything seems to work okay engine and transmission wise when I have good signal voltage from my o2 sensor, but it's possible that it's not the problem and the computer is not doing something right as far as managing the signal, etc. Gonna replace it anyway though.
Unread 11-03-2012, 03:31 AM   #15
boilermaker2010

Replacing the front 02 sensor took care of it. Running and shifting good now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.