Tranmission wiring harness for Cherokee AW-4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Tranmission wiring harness for Cherokee AW-4

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Knucklehead97

Tranmission wiring harness for Cherokee AW-4

I have a 1997 XJ with an automatic transmission. When it was purchased, there were some wires ripped apart on the transmission. I thought they were for the neutral safety switch, but after replacing it there were still some wires that went inside the transmission that connect to the solenoids. I picked up a used harness and installed it but when I got to the plug on the firewall, it was not the correct plug. Yeah, stupid not to check ahead. Anyway, I am wondering if I can still use it by buying a 7 prong male and female plug, connecting the wires to them and plugging it together. I just need to know if the wires are in the same spot in each plug or are they different. I have made a crude drawing of the 2 plugs with their wiring layout. Is this possible or would the wires need to be in different spots or what. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

wiring.png  
Knucklehead97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
SECorBust
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Let me guess one plug is gray and the other is black. I ran into a similar problem on a 1997? I think the 97 is the ***** SOB. It has no vss on it either if I remember correctly. I was fixing up a 98 using a 97 transmission. I spliced the plugs together somehow. I really can't remember how I did it, but it worked. I think I got lucky.

Really Jeep Forum? Grow up.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/*****
***** - strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint; unusually different; singular: a ***** notion of justice.
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Knucklehead97

Thanks for the reply. So you just wired it with the wires in the same place as on the plugs?
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Using an eyeglass screwdriver you can release the pins from the connector.then install them into you old connector. Ive done this to replace corroded pins in the connector.
Ron
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Knucklehead97

I don't have the old connector. It was ripped off the wires, hence this question. I think I can get a new 7 wire male and female plugs. I just worry that the wires are in different locations on the existing plugs. If anyone thinks I can just put the wires in the same locations and plug them together, that is what I'm wanting to know.

Thanks for the reply by the way.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.