Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Torque converter - tranny locked - Help!

868 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  kv91 
#1 ·
Hi! I am new at this forum and I need some help with my tranny.

I have a WJ 3.1 diesel 1999 with the 44re tranny.
While I was mounting the tranny and a new torque converter (which initialy fitted perfectly) arrived at the point to insert the 4 bolts which holt the flexplate that comes from the cranckshaft to the torque converter. So when I had 2 bolts fitted correctli in its place, the engine nor the tranny moves. I tried to move it either directions. It seems that the torque converter is blocked.
I also tried to move it with the starter motor and bloked also.

Now, I want to remove the tranny again to see what happens but I can't not do it because I can't unbolt them.

I know that I am new here and all the help will be welcomed.

Thank you very much

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Please confirm that prior to installation the torque converter was fully seated per the Factory Service Manual (FSM).

Please confirm that the torque converter was able to rotate when installed on the transmission, prior to attempting to mate it to the engine.

Please confirm that the transmission passed the final FSM tests, including the ability to rotate both the input shaft and the output shaft.

It sounds like the transmission is cocked or crooked to the engine, with the engine crankshaft and the transmission input shaft pointing in slightly different directions.

Mating the engine and transmission should slide in without much force. The perimeter bolts should just retain the transmission bell housing to the engine block. The perimeter bolts should not be used to draw the transmission into the engine.

Did the transmission slide into the engine, or was force required?

#3 ·
Hi wingless! Thanks for your quick response.
The torque converter was installed and rotating as normal prior to mount the tranny on the car.
Today finally I separated the tranny of the engine. It was very tricky because while I was rotating the crankshaft in order to remove the TQ bolts, it rotated normally without getting blocked again. So all was nearly perfect except when I separated the tranny and I realised that the torque converter was again bloked, and 20 minutes before was moving.
I don't know whats happening, and I am trying to find a shop that can repair that (In spain anybody whants to touch an automatic transimission).
By the way... do you know whats going on there? Boths shafts were ok.

Thank you again

#4 ·
The transmission input shaft changes from rotating normally to locked-up? It then takes 20 minutes of attempting to get it to rotate before it moves again?

What did it take to change from locked-up to rotating normally.

What about w/ the torque converter removed? There are concentric shafts on the input shaft. Which one(s) are locked-up?

Why was the transmission removed in the first place? Is this a rebuilt or a replacement transmission?

#5 ·
Hi, the transmission was initially removed to change de solenoids and clean the valve body. After that, we changed the torque converter for another new one. Once everything was in its place and working fine, we installed and realised that the torque converter sometimes was bloqued. At the date of today we aren't be able to remove the torque converter (still blocked from thursday).

At this point, I think that the problem is bigger than it seems so I'm wondering in to adquire a rebuilt transmission. Do you know any webpage where I can find chrysler transmissions?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.