Torque Converter Issues? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Torque Converter Issues?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-10-2014, 05:52 AM   #1
RedWagon1006
2005 WK 

Torque Converter Issues?

To start off, I've seen a variety of other posts around the forum in different places describing the exact same issue.
I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.7L V8 and the five speed auto trans.
Sometimes, when going up hills, usually steepish ones, the transmission will be very hesitant to downshift. When it does this, one of two things happen: A) It merrily torques it's way up the hill, or B) It experiences this shudder. To elaborate: the truck will shudder inconsistently, almost like it's missing on several cylinders. However, this sometimes progresses to either a heavier shudder all the way to a hard jerk (This will only occur once before it downshifts, if at all). Once it kicks down, even a single gear, the issue vanishes and the engine runs as strong as ever. Given that this only happens under 2,000 rpm, I'm tempted to blame a faulty torque converter, as it intermittently disengaging and reengaging could produce the effect. The only issue that may be pertinent is that there is a tiny bit of driveline slack that you can feel whenever you accelerate rapidly from a stop.
If there is anyone who as actually managed to fix this issue, advice would be greatly appreciated. I have not taken the vehicle in for the transfer case programming recall due to all of the comments on this forum describing the ensuing nightmares. Any advice would be appreciated, especially if someone has managed to solve the problem.

Unread 03-19-2014, 05:16 AM   #2
RedWagon1006
2005 WK 

UPDATE: It had started to jerk and surge a bit if I put it in gear from a stop and let off the brake without touching the gas. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.