Tom Wood driveshafts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Tom Wood driveshafts?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 05-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
GWoods
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tom Wood driveshafts?

I purchased a Woody replacement shaft for my TJ a few years back after installing a SYE. Since then I am now on my second rear joint. This last change I was almost unable to remove the shaft from the rear pinion yoke. The shaft would not collapse without the use of a large pry bar. After removing the rear joint and the rubber boot on the shafts slip spline, I had to use the hydraulic shop press to separate the shaft. Even after cleaning and lubricating both halves really well I could not reassemble the two without the aid of the press.

I eventually stripped off the blue Teflon(?) coating from the splines. Which now allows the shaft to expand and compress.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

GWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Is your rear pinion properly oriented?

Have you called and talked to TW about it? They have excellent customer service.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.