TJ rough idle, need some help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > TJ rough idle, need some help!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
arnoldosu1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

TJ rough idle, need some help!

I have in the past couple months been having issues upon starting my tj. It starts fine every time: It's only once I start that I have rough idling. If I'm pressing on the accelerator it doesn't seem to be an issue. Also once I start driving it, the engine starts to cut out almost, in which case I have to depress the clutch and rev the engine some. Once I start driving it really isn't an issue anymore except on occasion when at a complete stop...or if I turn off the car for even like 10 min or so. And now recently my car appears to be leaking oil, but I have not added any oil as it appears to have plenty in the tank also I have plenty of oil pressure...I do have a little over the recommended full line btw and pressure is over half on the gauge.

I have seen similar things on this forum but nothing exact that had been resolved, so I apologize if there is a thread with this exact issue and the solution. Thanks, I just joined today in hopes that someone on here could help!

arnoldosu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
arnoldosu1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone? No wires/cables, feel/look loose in the engine compartment...Is there anyone who knows what this could be? I'm about to have to take it to a repair shop...it is my daily driver and I can't just start guessing what the issue may be. Thanks in advance.
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Miles? Tune up last done? Any codes? Need a little more info.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
arnoldosu1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It has 95,xxx miles on it. I changed my oil 94,xxx with royal purple and k&n oil filter. I changed the spark plugs and wires with performance plugs and wires 25,000 miles ago I think (can't remember what brands but they are both very nice; no miss fires). Also no codes, which is why I am puzzled haha. I was thinking it must be some kind of sensor because it runs well when it isn't acting up. But it also leaks a little oil. Any ideas...hopefully thats a good amount of information. thanks!
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
arnoldosu1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well I'm still unsure what it is...but I am going to run fuel injector cleaner (lucas) to see if maybe that could solve it. I have never used fuel injector cleaner with this car for the 45,000ish miles I've put on it. Maybe it will be that simple. Though I still don't get the oil leaking part of it...incase anyone cares I will post back on here what the result is.
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
bmxboy809
1999 TJ Wrangler 

did you ever figure it out? I am having the same surging/idle/misfire problem on my TJ. No oil leak for me tho
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
arnoldosu1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxboy809 View Post
did you ever figure it out? I am having the same surging/idle/misfire problem on my TJ. No oil leak for me tho
I have not figured it out. The fuel injector cleaner did nothing for me. I have been meaning to get it back to my mechanic to see what else it could be...I'm thinking some sort of sensor (throttle position sensor, idle control, or something)...because all I have to do is rev the engine several times and it begins to run properly; though sometimes better than others.

Also sorry for not responding for so long, I didn't get much of a response on here to begin with and I never received any email notification or anything from your response. Have you maybe found a solution to your problem?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.