TJ rear axle upgrade pole: - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > TJ rear axle upgrade pole:

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor Bellypan

Unread 07-18-2007, 10:36 PM   #16
jason m
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
I didn't read careful enough.

Wouldn't junkyard be JY anyways?
LOL ya i cought that too MY bad, im always on line when i get home from work witch is around 12:30 at night so im a little out of it. sorry for the typo what i ment is JY witch is junkyard axle's.
as far as cost go's, you have to search for them, i have several, two 78/79 ford fronts bolt SRW, one 81 chevy DRW, one 87 DRW chevy, one ford ( empty housing ) cut to 64 with a clayton long arm brakcet's welded on but it has a crack in the housing and one empty chevy housing.
all together i think i paid under 700.00 for all of them, in fact the one of the 78/79's was free i just had to pull the truck out of the woods. look at old farms, or see what peaple have in there back yard and if you go to the junk yard looking dont mention your looking for a dana 60 front tell them you need a heavy duty front end with king pins, not the ball joint one ( dana44 ). this kinda makes you look stupid but, when peaple here dana 60 the price go's up. try to find the off beat yards, they have all the good stuff, but act fast scrap is at a high agin so they been junking good trucks, jason.

jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 07:24 AM   #17
mrbates
RESIDENT METAL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
JK axles refers to those from the new JK model Wrangler and they are Dana 44s. The quoted D60 in the pic is throwing you off.

A JK 44 is around $1,300 from the dealer and comes as a complete assembly with JK bracketry.

They have 4.10 gears, e-lockers, bigger ring and pinion than the traditional D44, 32 spline axle shafts in the rear, and high pinion up front. There's probably a few other improvements I'm forgetting.

These axles are a great deal.
what modifications need to be done to get these to fit under a TJ?

how wide are they compared to a TJ axle?

2003 X. 3" SA. Locked D44s F/R. 35" MTR-K's
mrbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 07:55 AM   #18
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BO
what modifications need to be done to get these to fit under a TJ?

how wide are they compared to a TJ axle?
You would have to cut off the JK bracketry and weld on TJ brackets.

They are about 2" wider than stock TJ axles. They also have the 5 on 5 bolt pattern so you would need to do something about that.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 10:10 AM   #19
mrbates
RESIDENT METAL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You would have to cut off the JK bracketry and weld on TJ brackets.

They are about 2" wider than stock TJ axles. They also have the 5 on 5 bolt pattern so you would need to do something about that.
i wouldnt mind keeping hte axles 2inches wider, i wish i were more proficient with a welder i wouldnt mid swaping out bracketry

2003 X. 3" SA. Locked D44s F/R. 35" MTR-K's
mrbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2007, 09:29 AM   #20
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I compared an old XJ D44 next to my 8.8. The 8.8 dwarfs the D44 in every way. Everything just looks so much bigger on the 8.8.
Unread 07-22-2007, 11:49 PM   #21
Princessmeatwad
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Gotta keep in mind the article you speak of wasn't about what to replace your D35 with so your 35's don't blow it up. it rated from weakest, to strongest. a d44 or 8.8 is a great axle for 35's, and likewise i don't think a junkyard 60 or 9 inch will have much trouble getting over obstacles on 37-40's. just stuff to think about before everyone gets their panties all in a knot.
Princessmeatwad is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.