TJ clunking sounds from driveline - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > TJ clunking sounds from driveline

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 08-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
ajeepman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

- '02 TJ, 60k miles, 4" short arm
- NV3550 w/ daystar poly mount
(penzoil synchromesh)
- NP231 w/ advance adapters sye
(ATF+4 or whatever the Napa pc spec'd)
- Dana 30 w/ G2 4.56 and Truetrac
(Mobil synthetic)
- Dana 35 w/ G2 4.56 and Detroit soft locker
(Mobil synthetic)
- 35" MTR'S

I pulled the tcase to fix not having 4low, the tcase kept popping out and or grinding while in 4low. I found the spring clip retainer on the input shaft of the tcase was not there allowing the input shaft to slide in and out some so I fixed that. Found that one of the shift forks was worn and also replaced that. Gears and lockers were done at the same time by 4 wheel parts. I have about 1/4 slop in rear shaft before locker engages which is within spec. The issue is a clunking sound when on and off load. It's not a ujoint clunk it sounds more like something in the driveline is thrashing around. I've pulled individual drive shafts and drove around and it still does it. In 4x4 its not as violent and barely noticeable which makes me think tcase issue while in 2high. The only way I can shift gears and not hear it is by holding the throttle where it is or slightly raising rpm's and engaging clutch while rpms are up. If I let off throttle to engage clutch it does it every time and almost feels like something is being torqued and by engaging the clutch it slams back. Could this have anything to do with the clutch, pressure plate or throw out bearing not releasing the way it's suppose to? I know an automatic would keep constant pressure on the driveline and most likely eliminate this other than the initial Park - Drive or into Reverse but this isn't normal, I've got buddies with similar setups not making this noise. Thanks for the help fellas!

Unread 08-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like clutch related. Or maybe a syncro in Tranny.
Nice set up btw.
Not to tangent but is the rear axle still tight? 45'd on a Dana 35 is pushing it some.
But I'm leaning to the clutch.
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
ajeepman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92
Sounds like clutch related. Or maybe a syncro in Tranny.
Nice set up btw.
Not to tangent but is the rear axle still tight? 45'd on a Dana 35 is pushing it some.
But I'm leaning to the clutch.
Thanks for the reply! I'm buying the clutch kit from Pepboys this week which I'm told is the same as factory to eliminate that as a possible cause. Tranny syncros seem ok since in 4high I can shift smoothly at any rpm and the slight noise I hear then I'm pretty sure is normal, but I could be wrong. I did recently (within the last 6k miles) have to replace the clutch with the cheap kit from advance auto parts due to funds being tight at the time and its my DD. I know 35's are pushing it but I don't bash the jeep and haven't had it off road since the works been done, wanting to fix this 1st before I break something else.
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet keep us up on it
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
ajeepman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quick update...

Just drove it again and if I put it in 4high, smooth as silk and no clunking or sound of thrashing so thinking its not a clutch issue and definitely in the tcase?
Unread 09-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
ajeepman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced the clutch kit and still doing it. Checked tcase and there is no evidence of the chain hitting the case so thinking the chain is ok. There is some play in the case though between the gears meshing while rotating the yokes back and fourth so not sure if that's normal? Anyone have a similar set up as mine? I'm wondering if there's an issue with the rear locker now or if what I'm experiencing is normal with my set up. If I rev it slightly higher at shift points and hold the throttle while engaging the clutch it doesn't do it, almost like it loads up?
Unread 09-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Back to syncros
Unread 09-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
ajeepman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wouldn't syncros do it all the time and not only in 2high though? I'm going to pull the front shaft again and try it in 4high. Doesn't do it with front shaft installed in 4 high.
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
ajeepman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If I rotate my rear driveshaft the pinion and ring gears mesh and rotate almost immediately but the locker itself doesn't start rotating the axle shafts for about 1/4 turn of the shaft. All I've read says that's within specs but I'm wondering if this is the cause of my issue. When I put it in 4x4 I'm thinking the reason it's not doing it is the front is not sloppy and holding the driveline tight preventing it from unloading as much. I'm going to try pulling the front shaft and run it in 4x4 to see if the slop returns without the front axle being tied in.
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds logical. Maybe even pull the diff cover take a peek
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Lockers make noise, usually thats the complaint with running them. When you have power applied it finds and locks, you let off and it unlocks and then get back in it and it goes to lock.
This is why some do not like lockers, like in drag cars, come out of the BB and it unlocks and there is always the chance it remains unlocked when the light goes green.
The problem could just be normal, soft lockers usually have more movement

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.