timing notches info needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > timing notches info needed

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 09-02-2002, 04:39 AM   #1
kent

timing notches info needed

i have an 86, 258. on the timing cover i cannot see any indication where 0 tdc is. there are hash marks, but no numbers. from the bottom, the first hash mark is short the second is long and it keeps alternating. Does anyone know where the 0 starts, is it the first long mark. then how is numbered, is each long hash sequence of 2. thanks kent

kent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2002, 07:17 PM   #2
jonesmatty

the longer notches are in 4s I believe. The numbers are there, but they're up underneth where you can't see them. The first long notch is 4 then 8 up to 24 if memory serves me correctly. That's all "before" TDC. Hope that helps.
jonesmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2002, 10:45 PM   #3
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My Haynes Repair manual shows the large lines as 2 degrees each. The first one is 2 degrees after TDC, then 0, then 2,4,6,8, (BTDC) and so on.
Unread 09-06-2002, 04:55 PM   #4
kent

i looked at the haynes manual also, and it read "typical" and i just wanted to double check. if anyone else knows, i would like to just verify. thanks for the info. these boards are so helpful.
kent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2002, 11:08 AM   #5
jonesmatty

I just changed my timing chain, but before I took all that off, I cleaned off the notches with a rag and used a little mirror to read it. I would highly recommend doing that to be certain.

If your out of "time" you may need to change your timing chain and gears, there is two ways to check it.
1) if you holding your timing light and the notch on the harmonic balancer is "bouncing" up and down, you may need to replace
2)pull off your distributor cap and put a 3/4 wrench on you crankshaft, turn it clockwise and watch the rotor, turn it counter-clockwise and see how much slack is in your chain before the rotor turns back the other way, there shouldn't be hardley any at all maybe about 5 degrees on the crankshaft tops.

Last edited by jonesmatty; 09-07-2002 at 11:13 AM..
jonesmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.