post #1 of Old 04-28-2013, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
BlackBetty01xj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Timing issues. :confused:

Well lets start from the beginning. I was replacing the cam sensor on my 01 XJ 4.0 i6 COIL PACKED. i pulled the sensor out and seen the inside was shreded all to $h1t. so i went up to good ole parts store, got a new one for 49.99 and came home to put it on and noticed there was more pieces of plastic,metal ect. down in the distributor shaft. So like a COMPLETE idiot i decided to take the shaft out, didnt mark it or anything, just took it out. cleaned it all out and everything then put new sensor on and bolted it all up plugged it in and connected the battery and tried to start it and got a few nice backfires and NO start. so apparently i screwed up my timing. What can i do to get this fixed besideds going to the dealer or breaking my pockets? Please any help would be great. Again this is the coil pack model not distributor.

May GOD have mercy on my enemies, Because I WONT!
post #2 of Old 04-30-2013, 06:58 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty01xj View Post
Well lets start from the beginning. I was replacing the cam sensor on my 01 XJ 4.0 i6 COIL PACKED. i pulled the sensor out and seen the inside was shreded all to $h1t. so i went up to good ole parts store, got a new one for 49.99 and came home to put it on and noticed there was more pieces of plastic,metal ect. down in the distributor shaft. So like a COMPLETE idiot i decided to take the shaft out, didnt mark it or anything, just took it out. cleaned it all out and everything then put new sensor on and bolted it all up plugged it in and connected the battery and tried to start it and got a few nice backfires and NO start. so apparently i screwed up my timing. What can i do to get this fixed besideds going to the dealer or breaking my pockets? Please any help would be great. Again this is the coil pack model not distributor.
The camshaft position sensor sits on top of what used to be the distributor shaft. That shaft has a gear which gets power from the camshaft AND drives the oil pump

That shaft has a tab at the bottom that sits in and drives the oil pump. IF you did not move this engine's internals during the time it was out of the engine, it could only go back in two ways correct or 180 out! Pull it out, spin it 180 and stab it back in! Let us know how you make out?

The only other solution is to get this engine back up to TDC on the compression stroke and then install the shaft.

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
post #3 of Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 PM
WhiteMtnJeep
It Should Have Been MEG!!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Read this, it's for the TJ but the process is the same (4.0L I6)

http://www.4x4xplor.com/cps.htm

Silence is Golden, Duct tape comes in Many Colors.

Journeyman Meterman IBEW Local 611

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
post #4 of Old 05-02-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
BlackBetty01xj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I broke down and called a garage locally and they are picking it up tomorrow. I will keep you all posted on what it is or was wrong for future reference.

post #5 of Old 05-02-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
BlackBetty01xj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Threw the towel in on it. I tried TDC and everything. Still no start and backfiring.