Ticking when in gear, goes away when in neutral - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-24-2012, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
OCThor

Ticking when in gear, goes away when in neutral

I have a '97 TJ and was out playing in the snow Saturday and it developed a tick that you can feel in the gear shift handle and hear. It occurs in high range, low range and in 2 and 4wd. If I pull it out of gear and coast it goes away. I'm thinking it's the tranny but looking for opinions and suggestions on how to figure out what it is without taking it into a shop. Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 AM
backyardjeeper
1992 XJ Cherokee 

my zj does the same thing. Not all the time though. it's done it for thousands of miles and it hasn't hurt anything.

92 xj on 235/75/15's. $2000 into a $400 dollar jeep.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Oldcraneguy
1982 CJ7 

Assuming you have a manual tranny it sound like a chipped or broken tooth, does it do it in all gears? does it get louder under power?...ocg

post #4 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 01:34 PM
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like my problem. Does the noise increase in speed as the jeep goes faster?
post #5 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
OCThor

It does it in all gears and the is the loudest when I'm on the throttle, no noise when in neutral and only a little when I'm in gear but coasting and yeah, its a manual. My first thought was a chipped tooth as well, is that a fairly easy fix?
post #6 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Oldcraneguy
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCThor View Post
It does it in all gears and the is the loudest when I'm on the throttle, no noise when in neutral and only a little when I'm in gear but coasting and yeah, its a manual. My first thought was a chipped tooth as well, is that a fairly easy fix?
short answer....nope.....long answer = nope, youll have to pull the trans and tear it down and replace bad parts or find another tranny. First order of business is to pop the top off and do a visual you should be able to find the problem if its in the trans, if you cant find anything there time to look in the TC. Hopefully it has a cover that will let you see enough...good luck...ocg
post #7 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 02:55 PM
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Short response = Damn.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
OCThor

Thanks for the short and long answers I was afraid that was going to be the answer...if it does mean a full replacement, do you have an recommended upgrades while its torn down?
post #9 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Oldcraneguy
1982 CJ7 

cant really help you on upgrades,(CJ guy ) but im sure if you search the forums youll get your answers...but remember, locate your problem first, then decide on a course of action, it might only be a single gear in the TC that can be replaced with much less work and $ than in the trans...good luck...ocg
post #10 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
OCThor

Thanks for the help and enjoy your Christmas
post #11 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 04:12 AM
mmerlinn

When you say all gears, do you mean 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and Reverse? If so, it will not be a chipped or broken transmission tooth. It probably won't even be in the transmission. In that case, since it is in every gear and in every range, I would gravitate to the rear driveshaft or the rear end.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 01:25 PM
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

With rear end jacked up and transmission in neutral. Spinning wheels or drive shaft(dif locked and unlocked) = no noise. Maybe chipped tooth on secondary shaft in transmission. Gonna drive it again with a second set of ears.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 AM
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Had the wife drive it to the transmission shop this morning. half way there the "ticking" turned to a LOUD bang following the same freq has speed. called a wrecker and now it sits at the shop. May not get to it till next week. ill keep you posted.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 04:32 PM
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Update. It is the rear end. Gonna get the cover off tomorrow morning. More to come. Sorry for hijacking the post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.