Throttle Linkage (Rochester Carb) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Throttle Linkage (Rochester Carb)

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 05-14-2002, 07:56 PM   #1
Zeke

Throttle Linkage (Rochester Carb)

Hey guys,

As Jeepdaddy2000 already knows, I'm installing a Rochester carb on my '87 Wrangler with the 258. My latest problem is the throttle linkage.

I built a triangular adaptor thing that bolted on to the carburetor on 2 corners and had the old ball joint on the third, but this made the acelerator cable stick when the gas pedal hit the floor (not if done slowly), and also only got the carb to about 1/2 throttle.

My question is how you all with Rochester carbs made throttle linkages. I've read about it, and people have said that its easy, just do a little fabbing but I'm struggling here.

Thanks!

Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2002, 11:01 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

First the sticking cable.Is the cable crimped or out of alignment? Twisted? Disconnect the cable from the carb and pull it by hand. Does it feel smooth? Once you get the cable to pull smoothly you can look to the throw problem.
You said that you could only get about 1/2 throttle. Try pulling the cable housing back away from the mount. this should cause the pedal to rise giving added length to the throw. Another fix is to lower the cable attachment point on the carb. This will shorten the throw arc. Hope this helps.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2002, 06:45 PM   #3
Zeke

Thanks for the help! I finally got my Jeep up and running with the Rochester, it turns out I just needed to move the balljoint closer towards the grille and fender (if that makes sense to you). I really like the Rochester, can't wait for it to rain so I can see if it works then. I haven't done the Nutter bypass yet either, so I guess I'll do that as soon as I have time.

The Rochester doesn't work with my stock air cleaner - its not high enough. I guess I could just buy some spacers, but I'm going to upgrade to a big chrome air filter assembly - only $50 from Summit.

Thanks to everybody who recommended the Rochester swap, it works great!
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2002, 11:23 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

If you run in dusty conditions, stay with a stock snorkle style air filter housing. The open(chrome) style will suck dust and dirt all away around the filter causing you to have to change it more often.When the dirt comes down the snorkle, the mass of the dirt forces it into the filter in front of the snorkle, leaving the rest of the filter realitivly clean.You can also run a fresh air tube from the snorkle to the grill, pulling cold air instead of the heated air off the engine.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.