THrottle Body Spacer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > THrottle Body Spacer

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
02black

THrottle Body Spacer

Do throttle body spacers really work? Are they worth the money or is it better spent on a more free flowing exhaust?

02black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

No, they don't work, at least not as advertised. Your money is better spent on a free flowing exhaust.
Newtons3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Of course they work. Their purpose is to remove money from your pocket and put it into the pockets of the people that make and sell them. They are very efficient at this.
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Better idea. Put in a larger throttle body. I replaced my stock throttle body (52mm diameter neck) with a 60mm. I picked up huge power for a bolt on mod. I bought mine on ebay from a guy in Austin, tx. Who rebuilds and bores out throttle bodies to larger diameters. He recommends 60mm for the jeep 4 cylinder and 62mm for the 6 cylinder. Cost was $160 but well worth it.
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud100 View Post
Better idea. Put in a larger throttle body. I replaced my stock throttle body (52mm diameter neck) with a 60mm. I picked up huge power for a bolt on mod. I bought mine on ebay from a guy in Austin, tx. Who rebuilds and bores out throttle bodies to larger diameters. He recommends 60mm for the jeep 4 cylinder and 62mm for the 6 cylinder. Cost was $160 but well worth it.
can anyone back up the worthiness of one of these?
eduardostewart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

There are countless studies and consumer reports on throttle body spacers. The only thing they are good for is making you part with your money.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

www.strokedjeep.com. get a bored throttle body from him and be done with it.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
JasonMHorn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Don't waste your money on the spacer. Go with the 60MM TB instead. You will gain a little more power. Not a HUGE power increase. Just a little. I just did mine. I got it from a junkyard from a Cherokee with a straight 6 for $25. If you opt to do this just make sure that you get one with a MAP Sensor if your Jeep has one. The first one that I got was from an older Cherokee and it did NOT have the MAP Sensor. And second, when you install it make sure that you take notice of the tabs that are on the TB and intake manifold. If you put the TB on wrong, the tabs will touch and when you tighten it............CRACK!! And the TB is now trash. The one downside to this is that the opening in the intake manifold is smaller. So if you can, bore it out to match the TB. I didn't feel like taking the manifold off at the time so the air technically does bottle neck.

Here is a link from JP Mag about little things that you can do to get a little more power out of the 2.5 liter.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl..._power_adders/
JasonMHorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.