Thoughts of AMC 360 swap. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Thoughts of AMC 360 swap.

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-16-2005, 09:16 PM   #1
green cj 78
1978 CJ7 

Thoughts of AMC 360 swap.

Been looking around and cant find anything that answers my questions. The AMC 360, is that the same as the dodge 360? Also, I have a 78 CJ7 with the 258. Besides the clutch and motor mounts, radiator and such, is it a direct bolt up the the tranny? I have a 4 speed manual (including a granny). I dont know what kind of tranny, but I think you guys would know, The jeep is totally stock, and I am just fed up with the 258. I want more power but dont want to spend the time and effort with the 258. I have a friend that specializes in Dodges, and dodge parts would be really cheap for me. I just need to know if AMC and Dodge parts are interchangable.

green cj 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2005, 09:33 PM   #2
plain76cj5

The Dodge 360 and the AMC 360 are two completley different engines. I can't think of anything that would interchange.

You should have the T18 4-speed in your Jeep. The bellhousing should bolt up to the 360. If I'm not mistaken, the motor mount brackets are all that you would need to change, and I think only one side is different. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The radiator and clutch should also swap to the 360.
Jeep #1 = 76 CJ5, 304, T18, Twinstick Dana 20, Lock-Right in front, Yukon HD front axles, One piece axles - Detroit Locker in rear, 2.5" Rancho Springs, 1" lift shackles, 32x11.5 Super Swamper TSL/SX, Warn XD9000i, York OBA.
Jeep #2 = 80 CJ7, 401, T18, D300, 3" Black Diamond Lift, TrXus M/T 33x12.5, Yukon 1 piece axles, Auburn posi in rear, Detroit TrueTrac in front, Ramsey 8000.
plain76cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2005, 08:10 AM   #3
sjlplat

The Mopar 360 would be a good swap if you've got a source for cheap parts. You might contact sceep if you're interested in going this route. He dropped a fuel injected Mopar 318 into his CJ.
sjlplat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2005, 08:30 PM   #4
green cj 78
1978 CJ7 

New developement.

I found an AMC 360 for $400. Guy still has it and I still want it. Here is the uncertainty, I'm in California, under the smog laws. One of these laws is that the motor being swapped in cant be older then the vehicle your putting it in. Here is the Dilema. The engine was bought as a crate motor, it was put into a 77 Jeep Pickup. The pickup was wrecked and the engine was pulled and sold to a buddy. The buddy was going to make a rock crawler, Plans fell through, and now selling it for what he bought it for. Now, Is the engine a 77 or does it fall between the years of 74 and 79?

If it all works out, this is going to be awsome.
Unread 08-17-2005, 09:51 PM   #5
Traveller

The guys who do the smog inspections aren't going to be inspecting the casting #'s on your engine. As long as the necessary smog parts are there, and it passes the sniffer test you won't have a problem.

If you are serious about the AMC motor swap, and you live in California where old cars are plentiful, you can also consider the AMC 390 or 401. Both engines make more power than the 360, and all accessories should interchange. You can find those engines in old Matador police cars, and some other models.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2005, 10:44 PM   #6
green cj 78
1978 CJ7 

theres a problem there, I the standard smog guys wont look, but the Ref, that I have to take it too when I do the swap will. also, the engine has to be newer than 78. I dont know when the matador police cars came out.
Unread 08-18-2005, 07:57 PM   #7
Traveller

It's going to be harder to find a later model AMC V8, American motors wasn't selling too many cars at that time, and late 70's drivelines were made with serious cost cutting measures taken.

The best of the AMC engines (and those of other makes) were made from '68 to '72. Who are you talking about when you say "Ref"?. Inside and outside AMC V8's are pretty much all the same in appearance. AMX models and some other high performance cars came with higher compression and bigger cams, but good hipo early engines are as hard to come by as good later model ones.

Or you can do what I did and register your ride in Oregon. No smog check, tag good for 2 years, cheap registration, and no sales tax.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2005, 11:48 PM   #8
green cj 78
1978 CJ7 

Ref, is the Smog Referee, He is the guy you take it to to make it smog legal after you have swapped a motor. and insted of registering in oregon, I will just make it legal, and take the extra bit of effort.

But I took a look at the motor today, it looked like the story may have been true, but it has sat for a real long time with rats and dirt and it makes me real unsure of its past so I have decided to pass on the deal, but thanks anyway.

I have another deal brewing with a chevy 5.3. its more power and fuel injected, but its going to cost alittle bit more. I am just gonna have to save up more. I think I can get it done under $1000.
Unread 08-20-2005, 12:09 PM   #9
Bigbob

All the AMC motors were originally International. AMC never made any of their own stuff. The 4.0 started life as a International straight six back in the late 20's - early 30's. Then it was a 199 CI motor. It eventually went to 232 CI then to 258 CI and when AMC merged with Renault the french re-designed the 258 into the current 4.0 L motor. Yes, there is a French connection to your Jeep. The only V-8 offered in the CJ Jeeps was the 304 which was similar to the 360/392/401 motors. The International V-8's were tuff motors, but not high in performance compared to Chevys. They were more industrial than most as they were meant for truck usage. Getting something like that smogged in Cali would be tuff. I'd like to see the DC 4.7 in a Jeep. It's a low weight high power motor and looks like i'd fit in a TJ real easy. Bob
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2005, 09:18 PM   #10
green cj 78
1978 CJ7 

Advanced adapters makes quite a bit of LS1 based adapters for my jeep. I hang out with a lot of guys that have cleared smog with LS1 swaps, this is a different motor, being cast Iron with aluminum heads, but its a pretty good motor, and there is actually less physical smog equipment in my opinion that older(late 70's and 80's) cars and trucks. I think it would be easier to find parts for it in my area too. Also, I know a guy who parts out Camaros Firebirds, and silverados. I can get the engine for $500 and probably up to $200 for a wiring harness and ECU, then I will have motor mounts and adapter plates which arent cheap, but I can get it done for under $1200, and its somewhere I would rather put my money.

2 things I like, fuel injection and POWER...
Unread 08-27-2005, 11:38 PM   #11
Crapshoot

I believe in California, if you do a swap from carbueration to fuel injection you will get a waiver after the first sniff test shows a cleaner output.
Also, if a crate engine was installed it is clean of VIN stamping. For all the referee would know, it is a new engine with only a range of years to go by. You would only be required to install smog equipment that was common to your vehicle/engine combination. For a 78, that would be EFE/EGR/CatConv/AIR/PCV.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.