is there major mods needed? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > is there major mods needed?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 07-13-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
Wrangler11
1994 YJ Wrangler 

is there major mods needed?

Is there major modification need to install a 14 bolt in the rear and a d60 in the from of a 60? What would be need for this to be done?

Previous Jeeps
2002 TJ, 1995 YJ, 2 1994 YJ, 1978 CJ7, 1970 CJ1, 2008 Grand Cherokee, 1997 Grand Cherokee, 1994 Cherokee, 1988 Comanchee
Wrangler11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
Kerndone
I lack money

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler11
Is there major modification need to install a 14 bolt in the rear and a d60 in the from of a 60? What would be need for this to be done?
Your question is rather confusing...did you mean "and a D60 in the front of a TJ?"

I guess more importantly is why do you think you need these axles under your rig? Are you going to 37s or bigger sometime soon? I don't know how much of a response you will get, but there really isn't even a fine line here. Either you know you need them and you don't ask this question, or you don't need them and just think its a sweet idea...bottom line, these are going to take some work to get them under the rig.

'99 TJ - work in progress...see profile

'08 WK - Silver RME, DD.
Kerndone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
Wrangler11
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I guess more importantly is why do you think you need these axles under your rig? Are you going to 37s or bigger sometime soon? I don't know how much of a response you will get, but there really isn't even a fine line here. Either you know you need them and you don't ask this question, or you don't need them and just think its a sweet idea...bottom line, these are going to take some work to get them under the rig.
Never said I was putting it under my jeep. I was just wondering how much work it took to put a 14 bolt in the rear and the d60 in the front. I was reading through one of my jpmagazines and there was a ton of jeeps in there with that set up. I was just wondering how difficult the setup would be to do.

Remember, I just installed a d44 :-) I'd be crazy to consider installing anything else for a long time.

Previous Jeeps
2002 TJ, 1995 YJ, 2 1994 YJ, 1978 CJ7, 1970 CJ1, 2008 Grand Cherokee, 1997 Grand Cherokee, 1994 Cherokee, 1988 Comanchee
Unread 07-13-2007, 11:38 PM   #4
Kerndone
I lack money

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I'm no fabricating expert, but its obvious you won't likely find one of these ready to bolt in to a TJ. You are dealing with some big axles here, so to put a 14 bolt in the rear you will likely want to stretch the wheelbase a bit so your driveshaft isn't too short. That means you would have to relocate the gas tank. So, not only do you need to do work to the axle (brackets), but you will need to mess around with the frame, suspension, and gas tank too. That's pretty much just scratching the surface on the rear axle.

The front, you will need to mount up your brackets, which sometimes gets hard with the pumpkin being so large and offset. Then you will need to customize your steering setup to accommodate the new knuckles and larger width. Which brings you to the next issue, figuring out your desired width because neither of these axles will be stock width.

Well, maybe someone else will chime in, but I suggest doing some reading and searching if this is just a casual question. There is plenty of info out there.

'99 TJ - work in progress...see profile

'08 WK - Silver RME, DD.
Kerndone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
Wrangler11
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Eh sounds like a pain in the rear end. No wonder why the guys build total was at $25000 and he didn't have much more then the axles.

Previous Jeeps
Unread 07-15-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
cconn
Mud Bogger

2013 JK Wrangler 

Its not all that hard, but it does take some time. I have moved the rear axle backwards 4 inches, but that was to fit the Chevy tranny and transfer case in a short CJ5. On the front you have to outboard the spring hangers, which entails building brackets. I purchased a steering knuckle and draglink from Offroad Design and the steering hooked right up. Then it's just hooking up the brakes which just needed an extended brake line, and getting a driveshaft built. On the rear just cut the spring perch's off the axle and move them in to the correct distance for the Jeep. I installed a disc brake conversion so I had to build brake lines, then get a driveshaft.
2013 Commando Sport. Rock Krawler 2.5" X-Factor lift. 35" MT/R's, 17x9 Pacer black wheels. ProRock 44 front axle. RCV shafts, ARB front and rear lockers. 4.56 gears. Coast 1310 drive shafts. TeraFlex adjustable tire carrier. AEV front bumper. Warn 9.5 CTI winch. TrekArmor seat covers, Spiderweb shade

Build Thread : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/c.../#post15031329
cconn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.