TH400 and a Dana 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > TH400 and a Dana 20

Alloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE KitsOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 07-16-2007, 11:37 PM   #1
HazMat870
2004 LJ Wrangler 

TH400 and a Dana 20

I have a 77 CJ 7 with the turbo 400 trans and the quadra track transfer case but I want to put in a Dana 20 transfer case. What do I need to do other than the adapter plate?

HazMat870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
KrazyGimp
1982 CJ5 

Right off the top of me head I can think of the rear axle. The quara-track case has an offset rear output while the Dana 18,20 and 300 all have centered outputs. I have seen one person run the centered t-case with an offset axle, but there was no lift and they spent some serious money on a good shaft. Still I see problems down the road if you actually plan on wheeling it.

Check this site for info on the differences between the cases, from there you should be able to get an idea of what you need.

http://novak-adapt.com/knowledge/tra...se_gateway.htm

Here is about everything you need to actually mate the tranny to the t-case.

http://novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_124.htm

What part of Washington are you in by the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
...that's why you push in that little nipple (hehe.. I said nipple on the internet :D )
KrazyGimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
HazMat870
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Hey Krazy I have a Dana 44 front and a 44 rear that I'm going to put in when I do the swap. My main worry is do I need to put a new tail shaft on my trany? I'm in Spokane. I spent last week at the pnw4wda trail ride.
HazMat870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
scrounger

You will have to change the output shaft to a 32 spline unit that was in front of a Dana 20.There is also a bullgear that is needed that I didnt see in the novak link.
scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.