TF999 Cooling & Temp questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > TF999 Cooling & Temp questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

TF999 Cooling & Temp questions

What's the best way to know if your trans is running hot? I have a newly installed auto in my rig and had no radiator connects so I bought a aftermarket cooler and installed it in front of the radiator as far as possible. But is that enough?
Should I add a electric fan to it?
How can I monitor the temperature?

supersport126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

That is more cooling power than it has ever had before. I would not worry about it.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Sure would be nice to see the temp wouldn't it?
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersport126 View Post
Sure would be nice to see the temp wouldn't it?
It would be a gauge that would probably be boring to watch. I guess you could install an inline water temp gauge using a water temp sending unit.

Newer cars have a trans over temp monitored by the automatic tanny brain

Think about this for a minute.... Most cars go to the scrap heap with a ton of miles on the odometer and no one has ever pulled the tranny dipstick.

Tranny fluid is a highly refined oil that does not suffer from the ill effects of combustion. It gets hot but from friction not combustion.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

I did pick up a deep pan from quadratec last week. Its deep enough to drill and weld in a bung for a temp sensor. I just need to find a metal one I can weld in. I think it would be a good tool to see how hard the trans is working.
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I did pick up a deep pan from quadratec last week. Its deep enough to drill and weld in a bung for a temp sensor. I just need to find a metal one I can weld in. I think it would be a good tool to see how hard the trans is working.
There could be an issue with a temp sensor hanging down from your transmission base pan. Most transmission base pans are all but flush with the base of the transmission. So your trans temp sender would be exposed downward towards the pavement. Think about the possibility of snapping it off if you drive over a curb or if you hit a pot hole. Forget about any off road use.

If I wanted to check the temp of my tranny fluid I would install a threaded brass T to screw in the temp sender inline where the tranny fluid goes to the radiator to be cooled off.

Unread 09-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman

There could be an issue with a temp sensor hanging down from your transmission base pan. Most transmission base pans are all but flush with the base of the transmission. So your trans temp sender would be exposed downward towards the pavement. Think about the possibility of snapping it off if you drive over a curb or if you hit a pot hole. Forget about any off road use.

If I wanted to check the temp of my tranny fluid I would install a threaded brass T to screw in the temp sender inline where the tranny fluid goes to the radiator to be cooled off.
No I already spent some time locating the best location. It would screw in the rear horizontally. Nothing would be hanging down at all. I'll include a right up with pics when I go forward.
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No I already spent some time locating the best location. It would screw in the rear horizontally. Nothing would be hanging down at all. I'll include a right up with pics when I go forward.
If you have the room in the base pan where the sending unit doesn't hang down proud of the trans base pan face that would be good.

Unread 09-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Auto meter and Stuart Warner make Tranny gauges. A water gauge wouldn't go high enough. Most trannies run high. Aw4's run 200- 350 a lot especially off road.
I used an auto meter gauge and put the sensor in a tee connector at the Tranny on side that goes to the cooler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.