Tell me all the reasons to NOT use an AMC 360 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Tell me all the reasons to NOT use an AMC 360

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
CJKevin1978
1984 CJ7 

Tell me all the reasons to NOT use an AMC 360

My Jeep has a 727 auto trans and the 258 6-cyl. I am looking to upgrade the engine to a V8. I understand all the pluses of the SBC but I have read that the 360 is a pretty painless swap. Without getting into the benefits of the Chevy conversion, what are the negatives of the 360?

CJKevin1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2015, 09:42 PM   #2
gremlinsteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

There are none
gremlinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2015, 05:28 AM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Agreed.
If you are sold on a V8 swap, the 360 is the easiest and cheapest upgrade you can get.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #4
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

Any AMC's will be fairly painless... 401 would be the only reason NOT to, but with there seeming to be more 304's and 360's floating around, I think it's a good choice as well for a v8 swap.

I guess it depends on budget, comfort of skills for any fab required, and your goals for the Jeep. If you have a 360 laying around already or have a modest budget, then do it; if you have some money to spend, want to go fuel injected, and want a more modern engine I like the GM 5.3 swaps personally.
dirtdudeaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #5
82_CJ8
1982 CJ8 

I couldn't think of a reason not to either. So I did it.
20150602_194523.jpg  
82_CJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
CJKevin1978
1984 CJ7 

I have found a 1980 J10 pickup with a 360 and a 727 trans (my CJ already has this trans). He has offered the engine at $600 (he has to take it out) or the whole vehicle at $1000. The bed and roof have been removed for another project but the truck is supposed to be drive-able. What other parts could be usable or easy to sell? I would probably keep the trans as a spare and I am assuming the transfer case is the same but I don't know that a this point.
Unread 10-23-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
CJKevin1978
1984 CJ7 

After much flip-flopping over what to do for an engine, I finally picked up a 360 engine that is supposed to only need a distributor and water pump. The problem I think I may have is the flexplate/flywheel. This engine was from a manual trans-ed J10 and still has the clutch attached. Based on what I am reading I will need a different flex plate than what I now have on my 258.

New plates seem pretty cheap but is the bolt pattern on the torque converter universal? Does the trans and/or starter have any bearing on the selection of flex-plates?
Unread 10-30-2015, 04:23 AM   #8
DaemonForce

The only things bothering me about a L6 to V8 swap are motor mounts and the following drivetrain alignment. The ECM will be different but the whole thing is an easy tune. Only reason I wouldn't do a 360 is because my builds always seem to go the experimental route and I'd be tempted to use a 401 crank.

The transmission + starter + flexplate are kind of a 3-way marriage that depends on a few other electronic/hydraulic things.

Behind my 258 I would be using a 998 transmission and factory flexplate for the 258. Now that I'm replacing the 258 with a 4.0, the 998 needs to be modified and I intend to use an Z-338 plate to handle the crank trigger. Not sure how I'm supposed to approach this with a manual transmission but unless you're updating a 360 with electronic triggers and EFI, there's nothing to worry about.
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.