Tansmission issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Tansmission issues

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Iron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 04-29-2015, 11:39 PM   #1
big95rob

Tansmission issues

So I lent my buddy my jeep for a month as I was gone, and he calls me about two weeks after I left and tells me that 2nd 4th and reverse won't engage. I get home today and there is nothing there, no grinding, nothing that feels like a gear is even there, but 1st 3rd and 5th work just fine. Please if anyone knows what could be the issue, I would really appreciate the help

big95rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #2
jeepn4life92
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What kind of jeep do you have? Sounds to me like you aren't able to hit any gears that you shift towards the rear of the jeep for. If you have a tj, the hole in the jeep's floor to shift thru isn't very forgiving, a lot of guys have an issue with this when the do a tcase drop or body lift or some combo of the two, you seem to have the same problem. Take the console off (it's like 3 or 4 bolts) and watch the shifter when you shift, see if it hits the floor.
jeepn4life92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2015, 07:29 PM   #3
big95rob

I have a tj with the ax5 3 inch body lift, my buddies seem to think its the linkage, there's no grinding or anything when I try to shift, it's just like nothing's there
big95rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #4
StanF
Web Wheeler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big95rob View Post
I have a tj with the ax5 3 inch body lift, my buddies seem to think its the linkage, there's no grinding or anything when I try to shift, it's just like nothing's there
The AX5 isn't known as a robust transmission...

There is no external shift linkage on the AX5 to get out of adjustment.

You can pull the shifter boot and pull the shifter tower off and inspect it. It wouldn't take long to rule out anything shifter related.

I'm pretty certain that your problem is internal to the transmission, but you won't know for sure until you start digging.

If you have to replace or rebuild your AX5, you might consider doing an AX15 swap instead. It's a much stronger transmission. To mate it to the 2.5L, you can get adapters from Advanced Adapters or some people use an AX15 bell housing out of a 2.5L Dodge Dakota. I ran an AX15 with my 2.5L engine using the Advanced Adapters Kit, and it worked great. There are several threads on this swap - search around if you are interested. It's also a great first step to a 4.0L engine swap

Also, most of us here wouldn't recommend anything over a 1" body lift. The 3" body lift can also mess with the shifter throw, so if your body shifted for some reason, it could be the cause of your transmission problem (unlikely, but possible). Again, pulling the shifter boot would be a good first step.
Unread 05-21-2015, 11:16 PM   #5
lovejeepincj5

I had put my jeep into four wheel drive high when i heard a noise now my clutch will not engage. ANY ANSWERS PLEASE
lovejeepincj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.