Taking the T-case kit out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Taking the T-case kit out

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
rpapp1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Taking the T-case kit out

I just recently switched to all adjustable arms on my Rubicon. I have 5.5 coils under it with a transfer case drop. I took the kit out and adjusted the pinion accordingly. The kit had the spacer between the skid plate and frame as well as a lowering bracket for the 4wd lever. I took both of these out. Is there anything else I should be aware of when doing this? On a separate note, what size are the OEM bolts that attach the skid plate to the frame? Thanks

Unread 05-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Did you also get a double cardan driveshaft? With that much lift stock rear driveshaft not going to work without TC drop even with adjustable arms.
Unread 05-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
rpapp1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No, I still have the stock drive shaft. What will happen if I just baby it for a while? Also how much would a double cardan driveshaft cost?
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpapp1
No, I still have the stock drive shaft. What will happen if I just baby it for a while? Also how much would a double cardan driveshaft cost?
With that much lift and no double cardan driveshaft you will almost certainly have driveline vibes and risk all the damage that can cause. Additionally, I'm surprised your driveshaft is not too short with that much lift and stock shaft. Seems like you could easily have driveshaft separate if you off road much. Double cardan driveshaft of correct length is probably $200-300 depending on where you get it. Not worth it to try to run without. Wait to remove the TC drop till you can do it right.
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
rpapp1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Will the current drive shaft be okay for going up the street? I'm ordering my CV drive shaft as we speak but I just want to make sure I'm not going to blow my TC or pinion doing so.
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Stud_man50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Really you just have to drive and see how much vibes, any vibes are bad because it will cause seals and other things to fail on the T-case and rear axle. My buddy tried to drive after the same lift and it wouldn't make it out of the driveway. I would wait for the driveshaft to come in.
Stud_man50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
rpapp1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No, I drove it up the street and pushed it to about 60mph and there were little vibrations. I guess I adjusted that pinion perfectly. I just ordered the TW CV drive shaft so ill have that on there probably within the month. I just wanted to make sure it was even safe to drive. lol
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
rpapp1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know what size the OEM skid plate bolts are? I'm playin hell tryin to find em without going to the dealer!!
Unread 05-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Tw. Tom woods? wont take a month at least I have got them in like 2-3 days. but it is a holiday. bet you get it next week. if it vibes a little i would drive it little. a little becomes a lot'el.
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
rpapp1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the heads up. Yea I sent my measurements to them yesterday but I will be out of town so it won't be driven.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.