T5 Transmission question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > T5 Transmission question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCORGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 07-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
Brutus1983
1977 CJ7 

T5 Transmission question

Newbie question here.....Will a Borg-Warner/Tremec T5 bolt up to a 1977 CJ-7 and handle the 258ci I6? I'm looking to swap out my T150 for something a little more highway worthy. Any insight would be a huge help.

Thanks
Brutus

Brutus1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
DaemonForce

Behind the 258? It should be fine as long as you don't try to thrash it like a racer or go crawling with it. This is the best transmission you could get for plain highway daily driving because it's so lightweight but that's about all there is to it because it IS somewhat weak. This is a light duty transmission that I would compare to the AX-5. Still better than the SR-4, T-4 and just about every automatic. I would use it until getting an AX-15 or a mass miracle like the NV3550 becomes available. World class or not, a T-5 should last you many thousands of miles.
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.