T18 rebuild kit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > T18 rebuild kit?

Introducing the Quart Crate...JK Front Axle TrussVANCO DUAL MODE KNUCKLE 15" and 16" Big Brake ki

Unread 05-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
kwikbike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

T18 rebuild kit?

I have a T18 trans that I will be using for my V8 swap. I purchased the conversion kit to mate it to my NP231. My question is, if it is worth it to get a rebuild kit for when I have to disassemble the internals to swap out the new output shaft? I'm on somewhat of a limited budget, meaning that I don't want to spend the money if it's not really necessary; BUT I will if it is worth it. For those that have performed this swap on their T18s, I wanted to see what your opinions are. I welcome other opinions on this as well. Thanks!

kwikbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
jalves3
1967 CJ5 

Unless you know the history or absolutely trust the transmission's PO, I would spend the $200+ and know it will be a long time before I need to open it again. If you are on a flexible timeline you can wait until you have it apart to decide.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" Abraham Lincoln
jalves3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
kwikbike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't really know the history of the trans other that it was used in a plow truck. That's probably a good indicator of its condition. It may have been rebuilt at sometime because the PO had recently rebuilt the engine, but that's not a guarantee. I'm in no rush and could wait and see once I tear into it. Just trying to get idea from people's experience.
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
mmerlinn

Not much ever goes wrong with T18s, so unless there is an obvious need to do a complete rebuild, I would only do gaskets and seals.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
kwikbike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerlinn
Not much ever goes wrong with T18s, so unless there is an obvious need to do a complete rebuild, I would only do gaskets and seals.
Great thanks for the input! I've heard similar things saying that they are pretty tough.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.