T-90 Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > T-90 Questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
willys1955
1955 CJ3B 

T-90 Questions

I just bought my first jeep. Its a 1955 Willys CJ3B with a chevy 350 and a i believe a t90 transmission. The gears are very sloppy and the synchros are obviously messed up. I was wondering if this set up is ok if I just rebuild the trans or if I should get a different one. Im not looking to make a massive rock crawler. I just want to be able to drive around town and take on trails occasionally. I have no idea what gears it has, i was just looking for some input on the transmission.

willys1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

T90 are a reasonably strong trans. They usually shift well, but you need to be aware that first isn't syncro'd, so you will need to do a little double clutching for your downshifts and let the trans stop spinning at stoplights when shifting into gear.
Parts are readily available and the transmission is pretty simple. A bench rebuild by an experienced mechanic with you supplying the parts shouldn't break three hours of labor. YOu can do it yourself if you have a way to pull the input and main bearings.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
willys1955
1955 CJ3B 

Thanks for the info. Do you know what kind of top speed im looking at? would it be able to do 65 on the highway? Im not sure what gears are in it. I know without an overdrive its not going to be great.
willys1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Without the gearing and tire size, it is impossible to even guess. Stock gearing us usually in the 4.88 range, which, without an OD, really gets the engine spinning.
Without upgrading the steering and brakes, I would be hard pressed to go over 55MPH regardless of the gearing.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.