Synthetic Oil? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Synthetic Oil?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-09-2006, 09:35 AM   #1
05 RUBICON

Synthetic Oil?

Just wondering if most of you guys are you using Synthetic Motor oil and if so what brand and oil filter do you trust?, and your thought on using synthetic for all the other fluids such as tranmission fluid ect. Thnx

05 RUBICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 11:15 AM   #2
Cue-Ball

I run Amsoil in everything on my Grand Cherokee, and in my wife's car.

I am also a dealer so that helps also.

I have run 25,000 miles + on my stock 4.0 and do regular oil sampling and testing to make sure everything is looking good before I change it.

Link to pix

Big plans, little cash
If my wife asks, tell her I found it on ebay for $50.
Cue-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 12:02 PM   #3
75SV1

I've run synthetics since the late 80's. I have used Ammaco Ultimate (not made anymore), Castrol Syntech (engine), Mobil 1 (engine & rear end), Torco (manual tranny), Pennsoil (engien) and Amsiol (auto tranny). I paln to use Royal Purple in NV3550, and transfer case (Dana 300), when the Comanche gets running again. I hear the quality of dino oil has closed the gap on synthetics. I still use Mobil 1 and Pennsoil Platinum in my Ford Contours in the engine. I used Castrol Syntech in my '96 Contour for about 120K miles. It has 169K on it now. It doesn't use much if any oil. I use Napa Gold filters for about 5K oil changes. I've gone 10K oil changes at times. It dpends if the vehicle under warranty and type of driving. Highway miles, I'd do 7.5K oil changes maybe more. Also, change synthetics yearly. Much over 5-7.5K oil changes, then you should have an oil analysis done. You can also, just change the filter at 5K and top up the oil. Also, depends on engine condition as to oil contamination.
I have seen +2 mpg between conventional oil and synthetic. Others don't. This is based on highway only driving across I-70 from Indiana to PA. Some say not to use synthetics in automatic trannys. I have used it in two autos. Still, I can't say either way.
When you talk about synthetics, some will debate 'true' synthetic (group 4 & 5) and group 3s. Group 4 & 5s are polyester based, Mobil 1, Red Line, I think Amsoil and Pennsiol Platimun (excempt the 10W-40 I think). Also, the Belguim and German made Castrol, look where its made one the bottle. I've run both. I don't know. Ferrari used a group 3 a few years back for F1. SO it can't be that bad.
As with any oil, you need to figure out when its worn out. And then change it. Even a lot of your cheap dino oils do well if you change them before they wear out. Iv'e heard of some engines running the brand with a bad reputation that are very clean, if changed at 2K.
Filters: Napa Gold, Baldwin, Wix, Hastings, Puralator Pure One, and Mobil 1 are good choices. The first 4 are basically the same filter. I hear A/C Delco and Ford Motorcraft are good too. THe Amsoil filter is suppose to be good too.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #4
bokey
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'd say just stick w/ regular old oil. Can never go wrong! Just make sure you do your oil changes at 3,000 miles and you should never have an issue. I have heard from people that synthetic can leave "particles" behind in the engine and cause a build up? I'm not sure how true that is, but I never have had a problem with regular old oil. Besides, doesn't it cost less? And regular ol' oil HAS to be good; how long has it been used for???

Oil filters? I currently use nothing but Purolator PureOne. Best filter I have EVER used. There is also Mobil1 Oil Filters are supposed to be good, but a bit expensive. I may try that next time around.
bokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #5
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

been running Amsoil since 1983. Got a dealership in 1985 and I've sold about 9 qts since then Truth is I got the dealership so I could get it wholesale.
I swear by the stuff. Other companies could be as good but I know that an Aerostar I bought new and put 130,000 miles on never burned any oil. Amsoil from 1500 miles on.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
Cue-Ball

Had my dealership for a few years now, sell about $4000 a year or so, not much but every little bit helps to support my Jeep habit.

Link to pix

Big plans, little cash
If my wife asks, tell her I found it on ebay for $50.
Cue-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #7
saw2239

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokey
I'd say just stick w/ regular old oil. Can never go wrong! Just make sure you do your oil changes at 3,000 miles and you should never have an issue. I have heard from people that synthetic can leave "particles" behind in the engine and cause a build up? I'm not sure how true that is, but I never have had a problem with regular old oil. Besides, doesn't it cost less? And regular ol' oil HAS to be good; how long has it been used for???
As far as particles being left in your engine, I believe that its dino oil that leaves "gunk" in your engine, and synthetic tends to break this "gunk" loose, which can sometimes cause problems due to leaks that the gunk had closed up being open.

Otherwise I've used Mobil 1 for about 10k miles and have seen about a 1 mpg increase in my fuel economy
saw2239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2006, 05:52 AM   #8
bokey
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw2239
Otherwise I've used Mobil 1 for about 10k miles and have seen about a 1 mpg increase in my fuel economy
What type of Mobil1? I know they have a few "types."
bokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #9
CBird77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokey
What type of Mobil1? I know they have a few "types."
I will be using 10w30 here in a couple of k...
CBird77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
red haranguer

I bought my '93 cherokee (2.5l 4 cyl) with 12,000+ miles on it. I started running synthetic oil it until 220,000 miles when I felt that it probably needede to be freshened up. My gas mileage was starting to slip. When my mechanic tore it down, he stated that there was no "gunk" build up. The cylinders needed only minor cleaning up and the crankshaft was still within specs. I will continue to run synthetic after I give the rebuild a chance to set in.
Unread 05-24-2006, 11:01 AM   #11
HawkeyeWJ

I have been running Mobil 1 fully synthetic for years in several different cars and I have nothing but praise for it. Here is thread (out of the many) that has some great information about synthetics in general, and synthetics vs. dino.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/synthetic-oil-question-259333/

2002 WJ 4.7 Limited
Onyx Green Pearl
HawkeyeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2006, 12:23 PM   #12
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've run Amsoil in every vehicle I've owned since the 80s. Amsoil makes good filters too, I've used the bypass a couple of times, it extends my comfortable drain intervals to a year regardless of milage. Supposedly I could go longer but I would have felt bad.
synthetics transport heat better and are slipperier so you'll notice cooler running and somewhat better milage.
A bunch of years back they had issues with "particulate additives" some used graphite others used teflon either way they either clogged the filters or settled out of suspension. no one uses them now.

synthetics are more expensive to start with but I think they're worth it.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2006, 05:53 PM   #13
DrJeds44

Syn Oil

I use Mobil One Synthetic in my jeep engine with Napa Gold filters and Amsoil in my Harley. Both seem about the same quality to me. I think it is more important to use a quality filter(no frams) than brand of oil. I still run petroleum based oil in my axles and tranny etc.Regular fluid changes with a quality filter make a huge differance in longevity.
DrJeds44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2006, 10:41 PM   #14
z71offroader

i also use mobil 1. i use it in about everything. i use 5w30 in the engine, ATF in the t-case and 75w140 in the diffs. its all ive been running in my z71 and hasnt done me wrong.
93 YJ- SOA, R.E 1.5" Leafs, Custom paint, 35x16 Boggers,15x10 97 series rockcrawlers. Diamond plated interior and exterior, Tera SYE/CV DS, Herculined Tub, Bestop, Warn Bumpers w/ 9.5ti, 8.8" rear, D30 front, both ARB's with 4:88's, Super 88, Posi-Lok, Alpine Stereo, Tuffy Security, Hella Fogs, ProComp Spots, and much more.

07 2500HD D-Max CC LB Black Ranchhand Bumpers, MBRP 5" Straight Piped Exhaust, Edge Evo, N-fabs, 305/65/18 BFGs on Black Motos, much more soon to come!

(Sold)03 Z71- 33x12 BFG Muds, American Racing Victor Teflons, K&N intake, Gibson Exhaust, Ranchand bumpers, Hypertech programmed, Hella Spots, 12" JL sub, and much more.
z71offroader is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.