Swap XJ 4.0 Engine and auto trans into 88 YJ w/ auto trans and 4.2 w/ Howell EFI? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 03-09-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
88yjay
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Swap XJ 4.0 Engine and auto trans into 88 YJ w/ auto trans and 4.2 w/ Howell EFI?

I'm looking to swap a 4.0 engine and 4 speed auto trans into my 88 YJ (currently has the 4.2l I6 w/ Howell EFI conversion). I am considering 2 possible donor vehicles, a 1995 XJ or a 2001 XJ. The 2001 can be test-driven, the 1995 can't as it's missing some parts but I can still verify engine runs.

Can the 4.0 block from the 2001 XJ (distributor-less) be used with my existing distributor?

Also, I know that up to 1995 the XJ's had separate computer to control the transmission. Would a 2001 XJ also have a separate computer for the transmission, or would the trans be controlled by stock ECM? I want to keep my existing Howell EFI system instead of switching over the entire wiring harness from donor vehicle, especially if OBD2. So it seems like 1995 XJ would definitely work because transmission has separate computer, is same true for 2001 XJ?

Also, if 2001 XJ transmission is controlled by stock ECM instead of separate transmission computer, could it be adapted to work with the transmission computer from the 1995 XJ?

What about speed sensor for either of the transmissions? It is my understanding that the 1995 XJ transmission has a mechanical speed sensor, what about the 2001 XJ? And anyone know about whether the mechanical speed sensor from 95 XJ can be adapted to my stock YJ transfer case?

Anyone know if YJ transfer case will mate to either of the XJ transmissions without re-clocking?

Thanks!

Tags
4.0 , cherokee , swap , xj , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.