Swap stock coil and dist for new HEI - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Swap stock coil and dist for new HEI

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
bigtom89
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Swap stock coil and dist for new HEI

I currently have no spark due to a break in a power wire for my coil. I have replaced the ICM, coil and complete distributor. I am reading about putting in a Chevy HEI distributor and new ingition switch at the column from what I can tell it eliminates the ICM and I can run a straight power lead to the battery just need to put a fuse in between. If anyone has done this input and what part or part number to buy would be greatly appreciated.

It's a 4.2 that's been nuttered.

Unread 06-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
1987_yj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I got one from Summit Racing ready to go. You have to buy the two wire harnes for like 5-10 bucks, just drop it in and connect the two wires. Good swap
1987_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
bigtom89
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Good to know thanks, I ordered a complete kit from CRT proformance. It was $150 but everything I need plus new custom fit plug wires. I'll post to let everyone know how it worked out.
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
1987_yj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome deal. I had to get my wires separate. I should have shopped a bit more. It will run better for sure.
1987_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
bigtom89
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just finished the swap out and I couldn't be happier. Fixed all the wiring problems I was having and between this and doing the Nutter I have eliminated ICM and ECM for any part of engine control. Runs great and smooth. Words of advice, take your time in doing this and make SURE your motor is set to TDC when putting in your new HEI. I highly recommend CRT performance for the set up. $150 for new HEI with proper cam gear already on it, the 2 connector plugs and brand new custom 8mm plug wires. Your old wires cannot handle the voltage of the HEI. You will see the difference in the thickness.

Tags
4.2 , hei

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.