Swap questions with stroker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Swap questions with stroker

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Stroked242
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Swap questions with stroker

Hey guys im new here on the forum and i got a question for you fellasI'm plannin on swapping a 4.6 stroker I already have built and running in my 92 YJ into a 2000 Tj. The only question I have is what do I about the distributor on my yj and the coil packs in the tj. My plan was to run the intake manifold and all the other wiring off the tj so I could run it with the tj computer. I was just wondering which way I should swap it or if i can change it so any input would be greatly appreciated

Stroked242 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Swap the coil packs over. You'll need to fab up a bracket or two. Swap the dizzy for the sensor assembly in the 2000.

BUT, I'm not sure the block configuration is the same regarding how the accessories bolt on between the two engines. I'll post this for you and see what you think.

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1991 to 1995 YJ and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

XJ: "Regular" (not Grand) Cherokees 84-01
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 93-98 (Gen1)
WJ: Grand Cherokee 99-04 (Gen2)
YJ: Wrangler 87-95 (Gen1)
TJ: Wrangler 97-06 (Gen2)

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
Stroked242
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So that's not looking to good for me then when it comes to block configurations. I'll have to do some homework. Thanks for the reply
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
Stroked242
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well it's in and done I got the engines swapped and the only place I had to fabricate something was a bracket off the alternator so I could adjust my belt tension. Motor mounts lined up no problems at all Thanks to everyone here and all te good info on the forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.