Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

swap??? cummins

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  huntsvegas 
#1 ·
I have been thinking about doing a dodge v8 swap on my tj, but i have also missed my 3/4 ton dodge cummins... Im thinking about doing a cummins 4bt.. Its a 4cyl cummins turbo diesel.. not alot of hp. but with the right mods, im sure i can get a ton of torque out of it... Has any one done, seen, know of any of these being swaped into a tj... I also know its a heavy engine but it runs along the same weight as a v8 if i remember right... any info would be great... :thumbsup:

#2 ·
I’m actually planning on doing the same thing. The engine is roughly the same size as a V8 but about 100 pounds heavier. I think I’m going to go absurd and up an ISB in my jeep though….the challenge is interesting.

I wish I had some more info for you on the 3.9 diesel repower. All I know for sure is that it has been done. If you emailed Cummins, I’m sure they could give you some good tips. They have great customer service.

#3 ·
thanks for the info.... I was trained by and worked as a tech for cummins for a few years, but im still thinking looking into all the smaller diesels on the market.. i could bump the power up on this with no prob. but that would mean a drope on fuel eco.. but it would still get 2 time what my 4banger gets now.. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Here are the engine dimensions for the ISB and the cummins 3.9 with comparision to the hemi.

Length(in) Width(in) Hight(in)

Hemi 30 26 34 <=====V8 (aprox 450lbs dry weight)
ISB 40 30.3 31.7 <=====6cylinder (960lbs dry weight)
B39 35.6 30.1 35.6 <=====4cylinder (570lbs dry weight)

I would assume some decent custom fabing for the 3.9L but nothing horrible. With some performance mods...you could have close to 400 lbs-ft with about the same hp as the stock I6. Gas milage would be GREATLY improved and only about 100lbs more weight in the front(heavier springs needed). I am currently looking for someone who has done this but have been unsuccessful to this point. I know it has been done.

The ISB is just a hos....275 hp with 660lbs-ft at 1600RPM!!! The show stoppers here are the half ton weight of JUST the engine, the heafty price tag and the sheer SIZE of this beast. It's 10 freaking inches longer than a HEMI. MAJOR mods to the grill, radiator, front wheel wells, etc...

Fun project that I'm looking forward to planning and bringing to life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.