Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Super dana 35 Vs. Ford 8.8"

23K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  gijoeyb 
#1 ·
I've got a 93 Grand Cherokee ZJ with an I6, 32" BFG MT, and a 4"? lift. I need to get locked.

After looking into this, it turns out that there's alot of arguement about modding the D35 or just throwing it away and getting an 8.8" transplant. So the problem is that I can't decide what the HECK to do.... Even then, another temporary option is to go with an Aussie lunchbox for now and take it easy on the trails until I have had more time to decide. At the cost, this looks like a good temporary fix.

I've looked into getting the Super 35 built but the costs are way too high. Axles and a Detroit will cost $800 from Yukon and $900 from Superior. Anyone know of a cheaper option? And to add fuel to the fire, I'm on stock ring and pinion gearing so I'm not sure if the Detroit will even fit since I may need to go to 4.11 or better. Now if I do that then the front must be changed too....

As for the Super 35 bolt on truss, I just found a price at Rusty's for $450.... what the????????? NO WAY! I would rather buy a damn plasma cutter, learn to weld and build my own....

Now looking into the Ford 8.8", I don't know where to find one in the Austin area and I'm afraid to call junkyard because they assume you are stupid and will say something like $1000 for a used one. Now provided I find a cheapy for around $150 with disc brakes, then what other costs will I need to absorb here? I'm not sure but the Detroit will be about $500, weld on mounts about $200 and then all of that damn work... ouch, I would have to spend lots of money on beer to get through this project but I'm sure the utcome would be nice... which is what is kinda leaning me to the Lunchbox right now, and start putting together an 8.8 for a swap within a few months. This would give me time to make sure I've got every part I need and I'd have a D35 with an Aussie in it that I can sell after my swap. Not really sure what I could dactually ask for a D35 set up with a lunchbox on stock ring and pinion but if anyone does, please advise.

BTW: previously I had a '97 Disco (Look at discoweb.org pic gallery under Gabe Rodriguez for some pics.) Upgrade to a Detroit and hardened axles and I ragged on it HARD, nothing ever broke - but before the Detroit, I borke the stock rear diff 2 times and the front one 1 time. Man, I really miss the sounds, bangs, the subtle tuk-tuk-tuk than RATCHET when backing up I love the full Detroit and I want one in my Jeep. I;m just not ready to spend over $1000 just to get one in there and it looks like I would have to since the ring and pinions would have to change on my D35.

So, any opinions, suggestions, used stuff for sale?? I'm looking into everything and need to get this done ASAP - this is the reason why I'm considring the Ausssie because normally I WOULD NEVER even consider a LUNCHBOX.

See less See more
#2 ·
There really isn't any argument FOR the super 35. The 8.8 will cost the same or less even if you can weld the brackets on yourself, and it is significantly stronger than the super 35..actually stronger than a d44. There is a ton of aftermarket support for the 8.8 as well.

#3 ·
#4 ·
A friend of mine bought his at a junk yard. They quoted him a high price, and he said he'd just go elsewhere, but then he told them what he thought was fair, and they agreed. After the sale, the junk yard told him they couldn't give explorer 8.8s away. I bought mine off this forum for $150. You can usually find them in 4.10 or 3.73. They also can be had with a factory LSD, which isn't too bad off road, or you can get an open diff. Mine was open diff, so I stuffed an Aussie in it.

#6 ·
Does anyone know of a technical write up for an 8.8 swap on a ZJ? I've been scouring the forum and net but have not found one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.