Substansial Transmission leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Substansial Transmission leak

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
jbryaniii
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Substansial Transmission leak

I have a '90 wrangler 4.2 with an AX15. I drove it about 150 miles and I noticed oil on my bumper. I crawled under it and it is soaked everywhere from the tranny skip plate back. I topped it off and removed the skid plate washed everything up it was totally dry and then I drove about 30 miles. Still pretty dry. So I took off on my 150 mile drive again (because I had no other option) and upon arrival I'm soaked again however this time its a little easier to tell a general area. It seems to be from about mid tranny back. It's not the rear main as the front portion of the tranny is dry. It's also not the output shaft of the TC as that would be ATF and this is oil. It is also more on the passenger side of the undercarriage. I can't tell however how high up the tranny it's coming from. Anyone had this kind of problem? Could it be the top shifter cover or is it probably on of those damned seals in the middle of the transmission? Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm very good with engines but transmissions I'm a lot less knowledgeable.

Thanks to the forum for being flat out awesome! (I read a lot but this may be my first post.)

I'll try to get some images up tomorrow.

jbryaniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
DaemonForce

Unbolt, overhaul and bolt it up before it leaves you stranded and causes massive amounts of drama.
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
jbryaniii
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would love to do that but I hesitate because I have never done a trans rebuild. I did the engine but with transmissions all I've done is pull em off and put them back on. What's a realistic time frame for a guy's first trans rebuild?
jbryaniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
DaemonForce

It really depends on your environment and the transmission type. The A-998 has to be the easiest transmission in the world despite being an automatic. I had a place to work on it too, which made this go really fast. This was a weekend at a friend's place. Got a rebuild kit for $120, undid the linkages, pan, parts, got it cleaned up, put in new gaskets and clutches and got it all back in one piece and perfectly sealed after a negligible 2 days. It was cake, no walk.

If you decide to overhaul your transmission I'm going to assume it will be MUCH easier than those 2 days simply because the AX15 is a manual gearbox. Any work between the flexplate and bell is completely foreign to me as I haven't worked with manual configurations. The parts are all available and common enough that you won't have any problems. I'm even considering a manual swap because it will be much easier to use.
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.