stuck valve? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > stuck valve?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 10-17-2001, 04:41 PM   #1
Paul Ank

stuck valve?

Thanks for taking a look.

I have a '94TJ 4.0L. Just recently the engine started making a knocking noise. The noise starts when the engine is cold and will last for about 3-5 mins before it quits, then the engine sounds normal. I've been told that it may be a sticking valve. The valves have always sounded loud (I've owned it for 6 years)I tried to take it and get an oil change, but the local "Jiffy Place" said they won't touch it with noisey valves. What can I do?

Thanks again for any advice...

Paul Ank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2001, 08:33 AM   #2
CHVYPWR

Well, you could always change it yourself.

-'04 GMC Canyon SL 4x4
CHVYPWR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2001, 08:27 PM   #3
Brendan

Dude, if you know what the valves sound like, then you should be able to change your own oil, it takes 5 minutes if your good, and is actually kinda fun. If they are still loud take off the valve cover, and see what you find.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2001, 08:29 PM   #4
Brendan

PS there is no such thing a 94 TJ. TJ's are 97+ wranglers. If your jeep is a wrangler, you've got a YJ. Just to let ya know.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2001, 10:21 PM   #5
evilpsych

heh.. there are a few solutions you can try.. Anytime my dad and a few other guys have had noisy valves/lifters etc.. they've added some ATF to their oil before they change it.. they run it a bit and the ATF foams and cleans the valves.. you can always get a can of motor flush also and do the same thing.. after you've done this i suggest mobil 1 Drive Clean blend.. I've also had good luck with Z-max additive in cleaning deposits..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.