strengthen my axle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > strengthen my axle

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
airframer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

strengthen my axle

hey i have a tj i am about to lock my d30 and d44 and 33's if i wanted to strengthen my axles anyone have any suggestions??

Unread 09-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

chromo shafts if your looking to upgrade the shafts. you could truss it if you are looking to upgrade the housing
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
airframer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

mainly i just dont want nethin snappin on the trail, even tho i ve been told that i should b fine being that i am not running xtremely large tires but better safe than sorry
Unread 09-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Chromoly Axles
elkfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
ovrszd

Depending on your driving style, it's very possible you will break a rear axle and more than likely you will break a front axle joint which will explode the factory axle in the process. The front failure will happen much quicker with a locker installed. The rear will happen from abusing it by slamming a tire into a good traction object while spinning.

Chromoly shafts at a minimum. Upgraded front axle joints if funds are available. I installed Alloy X joints with my shafts and have since replaced them with CTMs because the X joints failed. I'm on 37" tires but running 4.10 gears.

The skies the limit, or I should say the wallet is the limit!!!
Unread 09-24-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

i'm running yukon chromos and spicer U joints up front because of the budget.

I have a set of alloy USA shafts awaiting to go in the rear. I twisted one of my 44 rear shafts a little.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #7
airframer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

since ive posted this thread ive been looking into shafts, i am assuming the the higher the spline count is the stronger the axle?
Unread 09-24-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
ovrszd

Quote:
Originally Posted by airframer
since ive posted this thread ive been looking into shafts, i am assuming the the higher the spline count is the stronger the axle?
Yes. Axle splines are machined the same size per spline. So the more splines, the larger the diameter of the shaft. You cannot change spline count without making changes inside the carrier. If you are adding lockers and haven't bought them yet you can shop for lockers with larger spline count. But in the front you will be limited by your front bearing hub assembly unless you go crazy and add a hub conversion. Again, the wallet is the limit.
Unread 09-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
airframer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

o that makes sense, the highest sc ive seen is 33, so by increasing the spline count i increase the diameter of my axle.
Unread 09-30-2007, 07:28 AM   #10
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Randy's ring and pinion has a upgrade for the Dana 30. 30 spline shafts with a ARB. A buddy of mine runs them and has broken at least one. This is with 35 inch tires. Not real sure if it is worth it or not. Here is a picture of the shaft.
Unread 09-30-2007, 07:32 AM   #11
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh these are Yukon chromoly shafts. After he did it we just said maybe we can find one in the junkyard and throw it in. Then we remebered they were 30 spline. Randy's did replace the axle shaft as I think they have a 3 year warrenty and this axle was less than a year old.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.