Strange Engine Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Strange Engine Problem

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-18-2006, 05:44 PM   #1
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Strange Engine Problem

In the middle of my 2.5 hour interstate highway drive (about 70mph) my engine starts running weird. All of a sudden it's hard to hold a steady speed because the engine wants to caugh and sputter... BUT if I push the pedal to the floor, the enine would accelerate seemingly with MORE power than normal. I was accelerating up hills with my 4.2L in 5th gear like I never have before, but as soon as I back off the gas it felt like I was hitting the brakes.

When I get off the highway I stop at the end of the ramp and the engine is idling at 2000 RPMs. Won't tap down or anything. I start moving again and it still feels like there's no power unless I'm flooring it. After shifting up to 3rd I stop at another stop sign... this time as soon as the clutch goes in the engine dies completely. Eventually it starts again but it's idling low and rough at like 400 RPMs.

Again I accelerate to third and it dies immediatly at the next stop. After restarting it's again idling low and rough. I rev. the engine a bunch of times and afterwards it's idling normally - smooth 700RPMs or so.

After this it's driving normally on a 45mph road with stoplights every 5-10 minutes. At some stops though it idles normally, others low and rough again.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
stonehogg
1997 TJ Wrangler 

if you have carb.. sounds like the diaphram blew... also their is a vacume line that goes to a metal vacume cone connects to it from the carb base.. that could have blew...could have been bad gasket between carb and manifold..or warped carb base... if you hve injection..then i dont have a clue...
stonehogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.