straight 6 head gasket blown. need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > straight 6 head gasket blown. need help

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
golfhunting6

straight 6 head gasket blown. need help

does any body kno of any websites or videos online that would show me or help me with replacing a head gasket in my inline 6 engine. i have all the new parts but have no clue what i have to do or how to do any of this. i need my jeep working so i can work my self someone please help thanks

golfhunting6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
iDriveYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

do you have a service manual?
iDriveYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
greyarea
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Get a Haynes manual from the parts store. They give a step by step.
Unread 06-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
golfhunting6

yea i have the haynes but it doesnt explain how to do the head gasket in it
Unread 06-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/...cement-598875/
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
golfhunting6

im pretty mechanicaly inclined but dont kno much bout engines and a friend was suppose to help me but he broke his foot and cant help for a while but i need jeep running by tomorow o wed at the latest
Unread 06-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What jeep are you working on? year? model?
Also this it is a rather simple job but if you don't know what your doing I would find someone who does (better to do it once with help, than do it twice with help the second time)

Heres a short version:
disconnect battery
remove serp. belt
drain coolant
remove intake and exhaust manifolds
remove upper radiator hose, heater hoses and t-stat housing
remove valve cover and valve cover gasket
Remove rocker arms and pushrods(make sure they stay in order and go back exactly where they came from)
Loosen the head bolts and remove the head
remove the old head gasket
Clean up the head to block mating surface and try and keep dirt out of the cylinders.
Remember to torque the head bolts in their proper steps and patterns
reverse steps for install
Once its back together change the oil and filter before you start it
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
golfhunting6

96 jeep grand cherokee laredo zj inline 6 4.0L 150,400 miles
Unread 06-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you need it tomorrow then you better get cracking. Good luck on having it done by tomorrow for the first time to ever do this job.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
4G64
2005 WK 

Quote:
If you need it tomorrow then you better get cracking. Good luck on having it done by tomorrow for the first time to ever do this job.
+1

I'm not 100% sure, but are Jeep heads aluminum? You may have to get it re-surfaced. I've replaced blown HGs before without re-surfacing the head, only to take everything apart because I skipped that step.
4G64 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The jeep head is steel but that does not mean they will not warp.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
circa27
2000 WJ 

I had a cracked head and blown gasket, my oil was cream colored from all the leaked coolant. I realize bragging about a product with only 3 posts makes me look like a spammer but I'm not haha. This stuff made by Rislone (there are tons that all say "head gasket block fix") but its in a tall grey opaque bottle, you run it in your coolant for 30 mins with the heater on full and then change your oil. Top up the coolant, let the Jeep cool. Its fixed.

Now I know youre all going to say "its temporary, they all say that" and I assumed the same but I paid 120 for this stuff before it came to Canada because I saw it on powerblock tv haha. Its been sealed and I've had clean oil since October.

Just my $0.02
circa27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
motoman225
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by circa27 View Post
I had a cracked head and blown gasket, my oil was cream colored from all the leaked coolant. I realize bragging about a product with only 3 posts makes me look like a spammer but I'm not haha. This stuff made by Rislone (there are tons that all say "head gasket block fix") but its in a tall grey opaque bottle, you run it in your coolant for 30 mins with the heater on full and then change your oil. Top up the coolant, let the Jeep cool. Its fixed.

Now I know youre all going to say "its temporary, they all say that" and I assumed the same but I paid 120 for this stuff before it came to Canada because I saw it on powerblock tv haha. Its been sealed and I've had clean oil since October.

Just my $0.02

I had that in a Cadillac that had blown head gasket. I drove it for 8 months like that then I blew the motor suddenly with no warning because it dumped all the coolant when the sealant came out. Don't make my mistake. Fix it correctly. That stuff is a temp fix.
motoman225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.