Stock Exhaust, How restrictive is it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Stock Exhaust, How restrictive is it?

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right hereJK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Unread 05-22-2001, 10:56 PM   #1
Alan

Stock Exhaust, How restrictive is it?

Hi & tia for reading this. I have a 98 tj 2.5l. Just wondering if replacing the exhaust system (after cat) with a aftermarket setup would help performance much. Also any recommendations? I don't want an exhaust thats much louder than stock.
Alan

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2001, 11:17 AM   #2
goofus
2005 LJ Wrangler 

With the 2.5L, don't bother. It won't make much of a difference. I have a 2000 2.5L TJ and tried out a cat-back. First off, it sounds horrible- like some pimped-out Honda Civic. I could see how a 6 or 8 cylinder would sound good.
I actually found that the 2.5L needs some back pressure. I recently went back to the stock exhaust and noticed absolutely NO difference in power. And it sounds SO much better....
If you are looking for some solid add-ons to squeeze a few more HPs out of that 2.5L, just go with the simple stuff.

1 Air intake- try rustysoffroad.com .
2 Throttle body spacer- I got mine from central4wd.com for $60. It actually added some usable torque in the 2200-3000 range.
3 Spark plugs- get decent new ones and make sure they're gapped correctly.
4 Spark plug wires- get decent ones (7mm+).
5 Get your intake/fuel system cleaned out.
2000 SE
1997 XJ
85 FJ-60
goofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2001, 12:12 PM   #3
Alan

Thanks for the info, guess no exhaust changes for me. I've already put on the t/b spacer and it made a difference in power, not mpg. I changed out the oem filter with a K and N, not much difference. I'll have to try the air tube change. How come the Rusty's off road product is so much cheaper?
And, can you tell a difference? later.Alan
Unread 05-23-2001, 02:16 PM   #4
goofus
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The Rusty's air intake saves everthing except the big rectangular air filter housing box over the passenger side fender. The box is replaced by an extremely simple, tubular K&N cone filter-type mount-thing. The (relatively expensive) K&N air intake replacement system replaces all the intake parts right up to the throttle body- and I don't know how much different the Rusty's is vs. the K&N. I'd say the diff. is probably nominal. I'm happy with the Rusty's.
In the end, I think there's only so much you can do to the 2.5L. I've seen guys add superchargers and intercoolers (see 4-Bangers United, http://www.forumco.com/jeffy/ ), but at that point, you'd be better of finding a vehicle with an 8 already in it.
2000 SE
1997 XJ
85 FJ-60
Unread 05-23-2001, 02:20 PM   #5
goofus
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Another thing I forgot- I just read an article on putting the 4.0 throttle body on the 2.5L intake. Apparently, it worked and the write up was good.
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~jyokomur/tech/throttlebody01/
2000 SE
1997 XJ
85 FJ-60
Unread 05-23-2001, 10:23 PM   #6
Alan

Thanks for the info. The t/b spacer I installed was for the 4.0l, but it works great on the 2.5. I live not far from rustysoffroad so I'll go check em out one day. Gee wish I hadn't bought that stock airbox filter now...Alan
Unread 07-31-2001, 01:47 AM   #7
91 sahara

you could remove your air intake restrictor cone, for details see www.jeepyj.net then look under free easy hp gain . it worked for me

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.