stock alternator question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > stock alternator question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 09-12-2001, 08:10 PM   #1
mytjnamedrex

stock alternator question

How much power does the stock alternator put out in amps. Ive seen 117on the jeep web site and then ive read only 60 in a magazine. I have a 97tj and a 2500 watt sound system and i havent even had headlights dim. I have 2 capacitors though so it takes a load off the battery and alt. Im planning on putting 2 driving lights on the windshield and 2 fog lights on the bumper. Will i have enough juice. Im also planning on adding an electric winch later on but i was already planning on upgrading the alternator before than. thanx

Unread 09-13-2001, 08:08 PM   #2
mytjnamedrex

does anyone have a clue?? please help
Unread 09-15-2001, 02:53 AM   #3
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How in holy heck are you getting enough power out of a POS factory alternator to power a 2500W amp?! Inquiring minds want to know!

Seriously, I think the standard alternator is only rated for 85-90 amperes continuous load. With a 400W PPI amp, two Audio Control EQL's, all exterior lights on, the fan blower on, and the air conditioning on, my dash voltmeter only reads about 11 volts (I measured 12.1 volts with a digital VOM though). Hit the blinkers or a really good bass track on the radio, and I can watch my volt gauge dance...

So the quick answer is that no, the stock alternator isn't going to keep up very well with the load you are anticipating - especially with the winch. However, have you considered the Mile Marker hydraulic winch? This is the one I'm jonesing for, as it will not place additional load on my electrics (which I suspect are overall crap in general, not just the alternator, being Chrysler and all...).
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2001, 03:36 PM   #4
mytjnamedrex

well im amazed that the car runs when the bass hits but it does. I have a 2-farad capacitor feeding the sub amp and a 1-farad for the 4-channel amp that supplys the juice for my 6-speaker sound bar/soundweges. Then i use the factory 4-channels off an aiwa head unit for the front speakers and modpods(hooked up as the rear channels). I am still breaking everything in so i dont have it cranked but i dont even get headlight dimming at night. I also only have the stock headlights. so in answer to ur question i will be upgrading the alt and bat. but i dont know how i got the juice but it hits hard as hell and i have bass at -3 and keep the volume reasonable. What a massage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.