Steering Shaft Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Steering Shaft Question

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
becraftj2286
1983 CJ8 

Steering Shaft Question

Hello everyone,

My mechanic has been working to tighten up my steering and he said that the steering shaft on my Scrambler is too short. The Jeep has probably 5-6 inches of lift on it. I didn't do the lift, I just bought the Jeep about 3 months ago and trying to work out all the bugs. The steering is very loose. My mechanic says the steering shaft has reached its telescoping limit and needs to be extended or replaced with a longer one. Has anyone heard of this issue? What can be done to correct it? When I look on quadratec.com, their steering shafts don't say anything about different lengths. Please let me know what you recommend is needed to correct this.

thanks!!!!

John

becraftj2286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

5" to 6" of lift. How?
leafspring lift
and shaklelift
and body lift. Only body lift with effect the shaft.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
becraftj2286
1983 CJ8 

I know it has a 4 inch Pro Comp Suspension lift and it looks to me like maybe a 1-2 inch body lift at the most. I went back and looked at my notes on the jeep and it also looks like the previous owner purchased a reverse Shackle system. Would that have caused this issue?

Last edited by becraftj2286; 05-14-2014 at 10:01 AM..
becraftj2286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Intermediate steering shaft= is the one that goes from the steering box to the steering wheel/ column

Flaming river makes custom ones. If you can not fab it.

Or are we talking about the Drag Link.=that goes from the pitman arm on the steering box to the wheel knuckle. Or if a Y set up to a point on the tie rod.
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
babytank31
1978 CJ5 

I have a 4 inch lift on a 78 cj5 and switched from manual to power steering and purchased a new shaft with a u-joint on both ends. When I installed the new shaft it only had about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of slip left before the two halves separated. I assumed that it was in some way due to having a glass body because there is no body lift on the jeep. There was no way in hell I was going to take off down the road with it like that so I cut and lengthened it. Still stumped over it.
image.jpg  
babytank31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.