Steering angle problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Steering angle problems

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Loorider
1969 CJ5 

Steering angle problems

In a while a start building a CJ8. As it is going to be a daily driver, I have certain wishes that my other Jeeps lack. First my 1969 Kaiser CJ5 is running the original Dana27/44 with 33"x12,5x15 on 10j rims. I think the have 35mm backspacing. Steering angle on this rig suck, both off road but especially with parking as my wife likes this one for daily driving. My CJ7 is equiped with Daihatsu fourtrack axles (plenty of them in Europe and strong enough for my purpose) on a 40mm narrowed YJ chassis. This one also has 33"x12,5x15 but on 8j rims with 35mm backspacing. The CJ7 has a slightly better steering angle but not enough.
Now for the future;
I have an option for using a FSJ Cherokee chief chassis with wide track axles, but this will be way too wide. Steering angle on this one is ok on the other hand!
Next option is using a lengthened YJ chassis, either with YJ axles or using wagoneer axles. The chassis is about the same width, so steering angle will be slightly worse than in the previous option.
Another option is using a CJ chassis or narrowing the YJ chassis in order to get my front leaf springs closer to each other. This given I will have to use wide track CJ axles or narrowing the Dana 44 from the Chief.
What option would give the best steering angle if I want to run 33"x12,5 and have the tires not sticking out more than 1,5"?
Has anyone gone into this allready? I prefer using standard parts instead of adapting due to the fact the moneytree is running low.

Loorider is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.