starting problems after hot engine sits - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > starting problems after hot engine sits

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
GTNMUDY
1984 CJ7 

starting problems after hot engine sits

I have brought my 84 CJ-7 with a 355 SBC back on the road after sitting 6 years. I have a Edlebrock performer intake and a Edlebrock 1405 carb with a 1" aluminum spacer between manifod and carb.

When starting cold, 1 pump of the peddle and it will start but I need to let it idle for about 15 seconds before I move the jeep. If I try to move it, it will stumble and may die.

After driving the temps are abouot 180 degrees and will run fine. If I shut off the engine and let it sit for say 5 minutes I need to crank it for about 10 seconds before it will start. Pumping the peddle dosent seem to help it start.

Now, 6 years ago I did not have any issues with restarting, usually 2 or 3 revolutions of the engine would make it start.

After talking to a speed shop they say that the newer gas will boil off quicker than in the past. I asked about a plastic or wood spacer to replace the aluminum one they said it most likely would not help. I needed to remove the hot air from under the hood to keep it from boiling off the gas in the carb or a electric fuel pump to fill the carb bowels before cranking the engine.

I do believe that the gas we use now is worse than it was 6 years ago and with the additives the EPA is putting into the gas might well cause this issue.

I have replaced the fuel pump and have great volume and pressure at the carb.

Anyone have any thoughts

Larry

GTNMUDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTNMUDY View Post
I have brought my 84 CJ-7 with a 355 SBC back on the road after sitting 6 years. I have a Edlebrock performer intake and a Edlebrock 1405 carb with a 1" aluminum spacer between manifod and carb.

When starting cold, 1 pump of the peddle and it will start but I need to let it idle for about 15 seconds before I move the jeep. If I try to move it, it will stumble and may die.

After driving the temps are abouot 180 degrees and will run fine. If I shut off the engine and let it sit for say 5 minutes I need to crank it for about 10 seconds before it will start. Pumping the peddle dosent seem to help it start.

Now, 6 years ago I did not have any issues with restarting, usually 2 or 3 revolutions of the engine would make it start.

After talking to a speed shop they say that the newer gas will boil off quicker than in the past. I asked about a plastic or wood spacer to replace the aluminum one they said it most likely would not help. I needed to remove the hot air from under the hood to keep it from boiling off the gas in the carb or a electric fuel pump to fill the carb bowels before cranking the engine.

I do believe that the gas we use now is worse than it was 6 years ago and with the additives the EPA is putting into the gas might well cause this issue.

I have replaced the fuel pump and have great volume and pressure at the carb.

Anyone have any thoughts

Larry
You could try insulating your fuel lines in the engine compartment, but our gas has corn in it now and I don't think you have a 'corn burner conversion' kit in your Jeep....neither do any of us
What about the plugs/points/wires? Are they all in good shape?

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
GTNMUDY
1984 CJ7 

Electronics are all good.

Yesterday I took some temp readings. After driving for 30 min, I stopped and read the temps:

radiator 180
intake manifold - 124
carb - 110
engine compartment - 118
thermostate - 180

All seems good to me.

IMHO, it's gotta be the additives in the gas that are boiling off at the low temps. I pulled the fuel line off and started the engine after sitting overnight.

I noticed that there was no fuel at the carb inlet. Most time I will get some fuel to spill out of the carb when I remove the fuel line.

Also noticed that when the engine started it took 1-2 seconds for the fuel to come out of the hose. Once it did it was good volume and pressure.

The fuel pump is new so it should not be running back into the tank.

I think I am going to try to find a gas station that offers gas without additives. I know that we used to be able to get racing fuel at some stations but I havent seen that in a long time.

My other option would be a electric fuel pump. Dont really want to do that because I tried one 20 years ago and they were so noisy and loud I took it off.

As I stated in the first post, 6 yrs ago I did not have this issue, the motor would start as soon as the key was turned. The carb, motor, electronics are all the same when I stored the Jeep.

Still going to try a new spacer between the manifold and the carb. We have the Jefferson auto swap meet coming in 3 weeks. Lots of good stuff there.

Larry
GTNMUDY is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.