Starting problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Starting problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
bigtom89
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Starting problems

Looking for some advice, I have a 89 YJ with the 4.2, 2 barrel carb. Jeep will not start cold or if it sits for more then 10 minutes without a shot of starting fluid. When running runs great no stalling or any other problem. I just bought the Jeep and the prior owner thought it was the electric choke but it appears to be working.

Part 2 of my problems, driving home last night the rear drive shaft broke off at the rear diff and when it broke it broke the cover of the transfer case. Am I better off replacing the transfer case or just buying a new cover, its a 231 transfer case.

All advice and help is greatly appreciated

bigtom89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Problem #1: Starting requires some kind of prime from the carburetor and yes it is choke related if it runs good all the rest of the time. The choke issue has a lot of carb'd Jeep owners going crazy. You may need to rebuild or clean the carb up. It should squirt some fuel in when you attempt to start it up.

Problem #2: Replace only whats necessary if you had no issues with the T-Case before. But you will have to see if you did more damage other than the stock tailcone. But what is more important WHY did the driveshaft break???

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
bigtom89
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks on the #1 I will take it off and clean it upand see how that works before i rebuild it. Like I sais once it is running it runs great. Is there any way to bypass the electric choke?

Problem 2, the shaft didnt break the universal joint is where the break occured. My guess was it was just a worn out U-joint. It looks like it beat the yoke up so I am going to put a new yoke and joint when it goes back together.

Thanks for your advice
bigtom89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.2 , carb , rear diff , transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.