Starting Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Starting Problems

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
carpo3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Starting Problems

When I go out to start my jeep. I have to crank it several times before I get it started. I need some knowledge from the jeep world on a fix for this problem.

Thanks and Go Titans!

carpo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
monster78
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What year model and engine do you have? I have a 2000 4.0 and have trouble with starting. It turns over fine but I may have to turn the key off and on a few times to start.
monster78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
Mishimoto

Welcome to JeepForum!

Do you have the problem when the Jeep is hot or cold? How many miles do you have on it, and do you have any codes? When was the last time you had a full tune-up?
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
thunderdan2000
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Turn the key on for 3 secs, turn it off. Do that 3 times to let the fuel pump prime the line. If it fires right up you might have a bad check valve in the tank. I have the same issue but an to lazy to drop the tank just to fix it.
thunderdan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
carpo3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have a 98 cherokee 4.0 sport with close to 200k miles on it. I have changed plugs, wires, the coil, the cap and the rotor. I have tried the turning the key and priming the pump. It doesn't help. One thing I have noticed is if it sits for 2 or 3 days it will fire right up, but a ride to the store and back you have to crank it 2 or 3 good times. and when it lights off you can smell fuel. So idk if it is not sparking or not got the fuel pressure. idk. could it be a starter? fuel pump? any ideas?
carpo3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.