Starter Motor.. symptoms of a bad one? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Starter Motor.. symptoms of a bad one?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Starter Motor.. symptoms of a bad one?

Mmmkay guys.. what are the general symptoms of a starter motor that is going bad?

My jeep starts like the battery is drained... So I brought it to get checked, they did a load test and the batt checked out a ok. It also seems that when i drive for a while then turn off and start up again, its even harder to start.

Thanks!

Harry

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
SniperYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was doing the same thing about 3 days ago - it would start fine sometimes, but most of the time I would get nothing at all. The guage was showing normal voltage and I did some playing around with the Jeep and finally ended up taking it to Autozone where they did a test on the starter and everything came back fine. Just for S***s and giggles, I got another one and put it on in the parking lot and Voila! - fixed. I talked to the guy at Autozone and he said that maybe something in the starter was grounding itself out, but I am not sure he knew what he was talking about. Oh well, it works now - that's what matters I guess lol.
SniperYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Hmmm.. ok makes me feel a little better... i just dont want to go out and get another starter for the heck of it, only to find out its something else

Thanks!

harry

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

White
~Junked~
Unread 10-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
GlennG
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardman Harry View Post
Mmmkay guys.. what are the general symptoms of a starter motor that is going bad?

My jeep starts like the battery is drained... So I brought it to get checked, they did a load test and the batt checked out a ok. It also seems that when i drive for a while then turn off and start up again, its even harder to start.

Thanks!

Harry
I just had to replace the starter in my CJ5.
I was driving around, stopped and turned off the engine. Went to start it up, and it sounded like the battery had died, you know, made that chunking sound, and the engine kind of turned over?
Well, even with a jump, it made the same sound. Got a push, and popped it, and it started.
I replaced the starter solenoid first, same problem. Replaced the starter, and everything started fine.
GlennG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennG View Post
I just had to replace the starter in my CJ5.
I was driving around, stopped and turned off the engine. Went to start it up, and it sounded like the battery had died, you know, made that chunking sound, and the engine kind of turned over?
Well, even with a jump, it made the same sound. Got a push, and popped it, and it started.
I replaced the starter solenoid first, same problem. Replaced the starter, and everything started fine.

Cool Man, thanks! Off to buy a starter

Harry

White
~Junked~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.