Standard SYE or Mega Short? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Standard SYE or Mega Short?

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
jLowrey83
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Standard SYE or Mega Short?

So I'm in desperate need of an SYE/CV. I'm lifted 4" w/33's. My rear shaft is at about 26deg. The ONLY time I feel no vibes is with a full tank of gas and the back seat being in. So I figure, if I'm saving the money for an SYE & CV, should I save even more for the Mega Short? Is the mega really that much more advantageous? Mega short = more $$$, and the longer CV shaft = more $$$.

Unread 05-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
Griff1918
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

All and all its about the same cost.
Griff1918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
jLowrey83
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I beg to differ. Everywhere I look, the mega shorts seem to be about $100 more. And can anyone explain the speedometer issue to me? Is the mega short w/o the speedo gear?
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
ohtenwillys
2005 TJ Wrangler 

mega short has a tone ring and speed sensor instead of the gear..
http://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ridge-1.../dp/B001FAM516
ohtenwillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Speedo gears can be expensive these days. They are no longer $15-20 at the dealer.

The super short SYE might be cheaper in the long run if you do a few tire and/or gear ratio swaps.

Do you plan on doing a tummy tuck someday? That is another potential reason to push you towards the super short SYE.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

with the super short SYE you can use a speed-o-healer to calibrate for your tires and gear ratio. so on top of being an extra $100 for the super short, you will need a way to calibrate your speedometer.

i figured it was around an extra $250 for the super short. and i wouldnt think that a 3" difference in length would cause the drive shaft to be any more expensive. most are built to order anyway.

the extra few inches will make a differnce, but how much... i dont know. (thats what she said)

you can also look into high angle driveshafts

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The JB super short SYE is calibrated for 35" tires and 4.56 gears.

The other super short SYEs are probably the same, but I do not know for sure.

I was lucky and didn't need to calibrate my speedo since I'm running that combo. I wired it in and it worked accurately.
Unread 05-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
The JB super short SYE is calibrated for 35" tires and 4.56 gears.

The other super short SYEs are probably the same, but I do not know for sure.

I was lucky and didn't need to calibrate my speedo since I'm running that combo. I wired it in and it worked accurately.
are you sure on that???

from the website...

The speed sensor supplied in the kit produces the stock Jeep signal allowing the original speedometer to function normally.

am i misreading it or are they clamining that its the OEM tooth equivalant?

what gear would be required for 35s and 4.56? vs OEM?

A Hokie build

Unread 05-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
jLowrey83
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
The super short SYE might be cheaper in the long run if you do a few tire and/or gear ratio swaps.

Do you plan on doing a tummy tuck someday? That is another potential reason to push you towards the super short SYE.
I don't plan on changing the tires at all. 33's are big enough for me. As soon as they begin to look small, I just go price some bigger ones, and the 33's look great again

As for gears, I'm not touching gears until I have to put a new rear axle on. This D35 is gonna pop eventually. Hopefully later, than sooner ($$$).

I doooooo plan on a tummy tuck. I think they not only look great, but the functionality makes sense. And my belly pan has taken some hits. Yet another reason I need an SYE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
the extra few inches will make a differnce, but how much... i dont know. (thats what she said)
HAAAAAAAA!!!

So just to be clear, I will need to spend some extra dough to calibrate my speedo w/a mega short? Drivetrain and gears are stock, but I've got the 33's...
Unread 05-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jLowrey83 View Post

HAAAAAAAA!!!

So just to be clear, I will need to spend some extra dough to calibrate my speedo w/a mega short? Drivetrain and gears are stock, but I've got the 33's...
who's mega short are you using?

either way, i'm pretty sure all of the "short" SYE's use a tone ring (like found in rubicons) instead of a gear. the spedo signal will transmit to the speedometer guage, but will be off (IIRC back to stock spec).

you would need the speed-o-healer to correct the signal. (there are other options, but the speed-o-healer seems to be the most popular with jeep guys.) so its not something that would have to happen right away. but to do it right you would want to.

the nice thing about the speed-o-healer is you can adjust it (on the fly i believe) easily down the line when you go with bigger tires and/ or re-gear. so no need to buy new spedo gears anymore.

i looked into all of this recently, but decided that a regular SYE would suit my needs b/c I dont plan on swapping out my 2.5OME lift for anything taller.

again, there are advantages to the "short" SYEs. with 4" of lift and a TT you will most likely want one. so set yourself up properly from the get go and save your pennies for another month or two.

so you probably dont need one with your current set up, but down the line....

A Hokie build

Unread 05-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
jLowrey83
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have one yet. But I've been looking at Rugged Ridge's Mega Short. But the more research I do, the more expensive this is becoming. Mega Short SYE, CV DS, Adjustable Arms, Speed-O-Healer, then maybe a tummy tuck while I'm at it. $F*CK.00

Might be back to the drawing board. Oh and what part of Maryland? I was born and raised NW Baltimore County.
Unread 05-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
are you sure on that???

from the website...

The speed sensor supplied in the kit produces the stock Jeep signal allowing the original speedometer to function normally.

am i misreading it or are they clamining that its the OEM tooth equivalant?

what gear would be required for 35s and 4.56? vs OEM?
I have verified my speedo with GPS several times and its within 2%.

JB should add that information to their product description. They should just list the tire sizes and gear ratios that its calibrated for.
Unread 05-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jLowrey83
I don't have one yet. But I've been looking at Rugged Ridge's Mega Short. But the more research I do, the more expensive this is becoming. Mega Short SYE, CV DS, Adjustable Arms, Speed-O-Healer, then maybe a tummy tuck while I'm at it. $F*CK.00

Might be back to the drawing board. Oh and what part of Maryland? I was born and raised NW Baltimore County.
doing a jeep correctly is NOT cheap. As I'm learning.

St Mary's county. Southern Maryland. Just over the bridge from Solomon's island

A Hokie build

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.