Stalling issue with my 97 XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Stalling issue with my 97 XJ

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
commander0374
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Stalling issue with my 97 XJ

Recently my Jeep has been stalling out on me. When it sits all night and I drive to work I have no issues. However when it sits in the parking lot in the direct sun all day and I leave work @ 9:30, I will get about a 1/4 mile down the road and my tach will drop and I will stall out. I can usually start it right back up and it will happen again when I put it into drive. If I drive for about 2 miles shifting it manually between 1/2 and 3rd it will work fine.

I have noticed that when I park on the side of the building in the shade, this does not happen. About 3 months ago I replaced the Crankshaft position Sensor. I have also replaced the plugs, distributor and rotor.

commander0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Does it shift OK when in 3 or od?
The way you describe it sounds like maybe a bad transmission control module relay or the tcm itself.
How's your battery? Alternator still have hood voltage?
Unread 08-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
commander0374
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92
Does it shift OK when in 3 or od?
The way you describe it sounds like maybe a bad transmission control module relay or the tcm itself.
How's your battery? Alternator still have hood voltage?
It shifts fine. Battery and alt test fine. In wondering if maybe the CSP is defective. I will hook up the obd reader at work and see if it is throwing any codes other than the battery sensor that I already know about. Also it has a tendency to stall when it sits idling for too long.
Unread 08-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Use a trouble code reader to look for any Check Engine Light trouble codes.

Are all your tune-up parts fresh ? Cleaned the Idle Air Controller and Throttle Body recently ? Tested the fuel pressure ?

Since you are having thermal failure, I would suspect the CranksShaft Position Sensor, especially if it is not a genuine Jeep CPS. Cheap crappy "Lifetime Warranty" sensors are often out of specification, or even failed, right out of the box. Many times they have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep sensors.

TCM or transmission issues would not case engine stalling.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
commander0374
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim
Use a trouble code reader to look for any Check Engine Light trouble codes.

Are all your tune-up parts fresh ? Cleaned the Idle Air Controller and Throttle Body recently ? Tested the fuel pressure ?

Since you are having thermal failure, I would suspect the CranksShaft Position Sensor, especially if it is not a genuine Jeep CPS. Cheap crappy "Lifetime Warranty" sensors are often out of specification, or even failed, right out of the box. Many times they have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep sensors.

TCM or transmission issues would not case engine stalling.
I ran a check and I am getting the following codes:

0320 crankshaft position sensor
0138 o2 sensor b1 s1
1493 battery temp sensor

I guess I have to put in a new CPS.
Unread 08-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

And probably a new O2 sensor as well.

P0138 Jeep - O2 sensor Rear, Circuit high
Possible causes:

- Faulty Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor
- Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Intake air leaks
- Exhaust gas leaks
- Incorrect fuel pressure
- Faulty fuel injectors

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
XJ-Buzz
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Not to hijack, but I have the same intermittent problem, Where is the IAC and what does one need to do to clean it.....?

I have tuned up - plugs, wires, cap, rotor, TPS - and have eliminated the CEL, an it hasn't returned, but an occational miss / buck, at idle or cruise, and just today it died twice, but started up....seems electrical / fuel related to me...but what do I know....
Additional info: Fuel level indicator - sender is inop, ( No fuel ) gauge but I can hear the pump prime.....
Also I have a single coil to the Cap...what are the failure symptoms of a coil? Go / No Go? or intermittent?
207xxx total miles....I have owned for 8 months.
XJ-Buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Bucking/backfiring/stalling are commonly O2 sensor issues. O2 sensor service life is about 125-175,000 miles and with an unknown service history, you might want to budget for new O2 sensors.

The ignition coil resistance can be tested, a simple Google search will show you the steps. A weak of faulty coil results in a weak spark at each spark plug.

Cleaning the Idle Air Controller (IAC) :

Purchase sensor safe Throttle Body cleaner spray.

1. Remove the Throttle body from the intake manifold.
2. Remove the IAC with a TORX 15 driver (2 bolts)
3. Gently wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body
4. Clean the IAC with Throttle Body Cleaner (not carburetor cleaner). Use cleaner, a rag, and a toothbrush. Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle as it is fragile and can be damaged easily
5. Also clean where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same throttle body cleaner
6. While you have the Throttle Body off, give it a good cleaning also.
7. Reinstall IAC, the Throttle body, and check idle quality.

capture.jpg

Unread 09-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #9
XJ-Buzz
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Tim for the info.....
I have pulled down the codes when I was getting the CEL - months ago - and I did not have any O2 sensor codes stored....
Maybe that has changed...the stalling / Dieing has increased, to occational.
When it would miss / buck / try to die, the tach would go to zero and back to running life....like someone turning off the light switch and back on again...LOL
Gosh, intermittent problems are hard to track down.
Unread 09-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Come to think of it now my xj did that with the tach but it got to doing it with the lights too. Turned out to be my alternator wires were bad. Start looking into ground wires
Unread 09-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
XJ-Buzz
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92 View Post
Come to think of it now my xj did that with the tach but it got to doing it with the lights too. Turned out to be my alternator wires were bad. Start looking into ground wires
Gonna get a can of MAP cleaner and tackle the Throttle body - per Tim - did take a peak down the throttle body throat, and there is a build up, smear, of oily residue, I could just guess it's inside that sensor port / spring mechanism, too. Probably, take pic's and document on the Iphone what I find for all too see.
I will check grounds...just need to look at the Jeep CD and determine where and how many, under the hood, there are. And scrap / clean to fresh metal.

...with the Fuel gauge sender inop since I owned it the last 9 months, and have experienced a fuel pump in the tank failure on a Chevy S-10, before, I just can't get my head around that it is fuel / fuel pressure / related...the S-10, fuel pump showed signs of extended cranking to start, before it failed.... and I don't have that with the XJ. I hear the the pump prime...My gut say's Fuel at the throttle body or electrical... We shall see.
Unread 09-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
XJ-Buzz
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Tackled the IAC module...pretty straight forward on the removal....did find dirt build-up within the cylinder and cleaned the entire throttle body...re-installed and drove 40 miles with a minor and very quick " Stall" at a stop light. Best I can tell, just one quick one, The Jeep, caught it and kept running - no stopped engine -
The Jeep has a miss when idling....after reading posts from the last 10 months, a "miss" can be a common thing...She doesn't purr...
What I am trying to determine is the occational " moderate to hard" miss -buck- while cruising, and recently this weekend, after start up, a shutdown or shutdown while driving....
Have come along way, from MIL illuminated, tuned up, new Radiator system - short of a water pump - but this occational miss / buck / stall is a bugger!

...have pic;s of this IAC job, and can post them, but it's pretty simple stuff...

Last edited by XJ-Buzz; 09-02-2013 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: addition
Unread 09-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Bucking/backfiring/stalling are commonly O2 sensor issues. O2 sensor service life is about 125-175,000 miles and with an unknown service history, you might want to budget for new O2 sensors.

Unread 09-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
XJ-Buzz
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
sounds like a plan.
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #15
commander0374
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-Buzz
Tackled the IAC module...pretty straight forward on the removal....did find dirt build-up within the cylinder and cleaned the entire throttle body...re-installed and drove 40 miles with a minor and very quick " Stall" at a stop light. Best I can tell, just one quick one, The Jeep, caught it and kept running - no stopped engine -
The Jeep has a miss when idling....after reading posts from the last 10 months, a "miss" can be a common thing...She doesn't purr...
What I am trying to determine is the occational " moderate to hard" miss -buck- while cruising, and recently this weekend, after start up, a shutdown or shutdown while driving....
Have come along way, from MIL illuminated, tuned up, new Radiator system - short of a water pump - but this occational miss / buck / stall is a bugger!

...have pic;s of this IAC job, and can post them, but it's pretty simple stuff...
Please post the pics if you would. I am still relatively new to the Jeep world.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.