Stalled while driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Stalled while driving

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 09-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
Jimh64
1995 ZJ 

Stalled while driving

Ugh! Today I was driving just fine. I was going on the on ramp to the highway and my jeep just died. It will crank, but won't even try to start.

Gas is good. I just did a tune up so I know plugs, wires, cap and rotor are good.

I am not sure how to check for spark and someone said it could be the fuel pump. I tried to use the key method for codes, but the engine light never flashed, it just stayed on.

Can someone please help me out?

Jimh64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

Same thing just happened to my dad's 94 zj. When you turn the key, see if you can hear the fuel pump prime for 2 seconds. If you do, fuel pump is probably good. Pull a spark plug off, touch the threads to a known good ground, have someone turn the car over. If you don't have spark, smell the open cylinder for gas while cranking. If you don't have spark or fuel, it's probably the crank sensor. They are a known issue. If the computer doesn't see the engine turning, like in a crash or something, for safety it shuts off spark and fuel. You can test the crank sensor with an Ohm Meter. With the key OFF, unplug the crank sensor. With the locking tab on top, you should have 3-4k ohms of resistance. All other combinations of the three pins should have high resistance, 6Meg or higher. If any are low replace the crank sensor.
pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

3-4k ohms resistance between the first and middle pin. Sorry.
Unread 09-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
bmftom83
1998 ZJ 

Had the same thing happen to me last week. Turned out to be the cat converter stopped up.
bmftom83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Jimh64
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmftom83 View Post
Had the same thing happen to me last week. Turned out to be the cat converter stopped up.
I just put a new cat on, so I know its not that at least,, thanks!
Unread 09-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Jimh64
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
Same thing just happened to my dad's 94 zj. When you turn the key, see if you can hear the fuel pump prime for 2 seconds. If you do, fuel pump is probably good. Pull a spark plug off, touch the threads to a known good ground, have someone turn the car over. If you don't have spark, smell the open cylinder for gas while cranking. If you don't have spark or fuel, it's probably the crank sensor. They are a known issue. If the computer doesn't see the engine turning, like in a crash or something, for safety it shuts off spark and fuel. You can test the crank sensor with an Ohm Meter. With the key OFF, unplug the crank sensor. With the locking tab on top, you should have 3-4k ohms of resistance. All other combinations of the three pins should have high resistance, 6Meg or higher. If any are low replace the crank sensor.
I don't think I hear the pump running, but Im not sure. If I pull a plug and have spark, does that mean the crank sensor is ok? That would help me eliminate the fuel pump.

Thanks!
Unread 09-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

Pull the plug, if you have spark and no fuel, you'll have to go down the path of the fuel pump and your crank sensor would be good. Check fuses under the hood. You should at least get a 2 second prime when the key is switched from off to on without trying to start it.
Unread 09-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

BTW, don't have a hold of the plug wires while cranking and testing for spark. 20,000 volts don't feel too good. Just thought I'd mention it if you didn't know.
Unread 09-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Pmholli93

Turn the key to the on position, pop the hood. Look along you're fuel line for what looks like a valve stem for like you tire and press it. Be careful. If your fuel pump is working fuel will shoot out.
Pmholli93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

A word of caution when pushing the valve on the fuel rail, test for spark first, then test for fuel. You wouldn't want to ignite the fuel you just sprayed under the hood. Use a rag wrapped around a screw driver or something. But you should be able to hear the fuel pump underneath the back seat in the gas tank.
Unread 09-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
Pmholli93

Well of course do the spark first. Now if you get spark and no fuel don't assume the pump first. Check the fuel pump relay. You can either buy a new relay and see or you can swap relays somewhere and then see if that circuit works with the relay in it. If it don't then it's the relay. If it does then it's your pump or a stopped up fuel filter
Unread 09-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
Jimh64
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
BTW, don't have a hold of the plug wires while cranking and testing for spark. 20,000 volts don't feel too good. Just thought I'd mention it if you didn't know.
How do I hold the plug if I can't hold the wire?
Unread 09-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #13
Pmholli93

You can hold it just hold it by a rubber part that has to exposed wire or anything. I do it all the time and have never been shocked. Only way you would get shocked is from holes in the insolation
Unread 09-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
Jimh64
1995 ZJ 

No Spark

Ok, I pulled a spark plug and held it to a ground on the frame and cranked the engine...No Spark...

Does this mean it is probably the cps sensor? I checked the connection and it seemed ok. I didn't even bother checking the fuel pump since I had no spark anyway.

Just a refresher,,, It stalled while I was getting on an on ramp to the highway.

Anything else I can eliminate before trying to tackle that crazy sensor?
Unread 09-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #15
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

Check for fuel in the cylinder. If you don't have fuel, it's probably the cps or the ASD relay. If you have fuel, it might be the ignition coil. Ohming out the cps would be the next thing I would do though. The connector is easy to get to, but getting to the sensor and changing it is the hard part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.