Squeal/Squeak when Driving...help! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Squeal/Squeak when Driving...help!

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #16
Live4Jeeps
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Which part of the brake assembly was loose? The line into the hub area? Or the entire rotor/caliper?

Live4Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #17
tbk5000
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check the dust shield by the rotor, I've seen them get bent and rub. A little movement in the caliper is normal.
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #18
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

The caliper was somewhat loose. When I say loose I mean I could budge it like 1/8" or so when grabbing it. The rotor was solid.
ciphershort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #19
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbk5000 View Post
Check the dust shield by the rotor, I've seen them get bent and rub. A little movement in the caliper is normal.
Any chance you could explain where this is? I'm new to this whole do it yourself movement when it comes to vehicles, but I'm tired of paying other people to do what I am capable of. Thanks.
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #20
Live4Jeeps
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It literally is the shield that sits between your rotor and wheel. Its a thin sheet of rounded metal the mount onto the wheel bolts. Just google "brake rotor dust shield" and you'll know.
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #21
Live4Jeeps
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
And I don't believe thats my problem. My dust shields are pretty straight and I think after 5 months of rubbing, it would eventually shave it off enough to where it wouldn't be making contact
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #22
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live4Jeeps View Post
It literally is the shield that sits between your rotor and wheel. Its a thin sheet of rounded metal the mount onto the wheel bolts. Just google "brake rotor dust shield" and you'll know.
Gotcha. I see where it is now. Is that easy to see under the vehicle without disassembling the brake assembly? Only pictures I saw were of everything taken apart.
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #23
Live4Jeeps
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
And I don't believe thats my problem. My dust shields are pretty straight and I think after 5 months of rubbing, it would eventually shave it off enough to where it wouldn't be making contact
Unread 10-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #24
Live4Jeeps
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphershort View Post

Gotcha. I see where it is now. Is that easy to see under the vehicle without disassembling the brake assembly? Only pictures I saw were of everything taken apart.
You'll be able to physically see the shield without disassembly, but I would just take the time to get that tire off and check the condition of it. I'm gonna do the same.
Unread 10-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #25
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Disc brake squeek is fairly common.
I agree there is no way that it is a U joint. At 10 - 35 mph you would be hard pressed to discern a single rotation of the driveshaft.

BUT
You should check the wheel bearings. They rotate at the same frequency as the wheels and might have metal to metal rubbing. I ignored a squeek on my '69 mustang until one day when my right rear wheel and axle passed me on an entrance ramp The ford rear held the axles in with pressed on bearings and one finally let go on a long turn.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #26
Live4Jeeps
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
Disc brake squeek is fairly common.
I agree there is no way that it is a U joint. At 10 - 35 mph you would be hard pressed to discern a single rotation of the driveshaft.

BUT
You should check the wheel bearings. They rotate at the same frequency as the wheels and might have metal to metal rubbing. I ignored a squeek on my '69 mustang until one day when my right rear wheel and axle passed me on an entrance ramp The ford rear held the axles in with pressed on bearings and one finally let go on a long turn.
Definitely don't want that! I'll have to get some new ones for my 8.8.
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #27
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

My issue is not a disc brake squeak. Brake squeak is constant while applying the same amount of pressure to the brake. My issue sounds more of a creak (image a creepy old door opening creak) and is only heard when applying medium-light pressure to the brake pedal while in the 10-45mph range. When I'm going faster, I don't think it makes the sound. That or I just can't hear it. Could my issue be something bearing related even though it is not a constant sound?
Unread 10-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #28
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So you only hear it when you lightly apply the bakes and no other time? like maybe speed bumps.
If it is suspension/bushing noise you would hear it anytime the suspension moves a little like when you apply the brakes. That would sound like a creaky door and if your brakes are a little warped it would be cyclic as the brakes grabbed more and less.

Can you isolate front to rear? left to right? Real tough to solve with a little info.
Unread 10-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #29
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

I've isolated it to the drivers side rear wheel. Only happens when applying 30-40% brake going 10-45mph. Doesn't matter the road...smooth, rough, uphill, downhill, dry, wet, etc... Yesterday I was trying to find a parking spot at a mall and every time I'd brake you'd hear it...creak...creak...creak...creak...
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:18 AM   #30
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Judging by the new info my best bet would be your rear brake needs work. It is probaby adjusted a bit looser than the passenger side and has some rust/binding on the springs.
Here's why I think that way'
When you apply the brakes lightly the fluid flows through a single line back to both rears. The proportioning valve sends more pressure to the front until you press hard enough to balance out the pressure. With the shoes only lightly contacting the drum there is still room to shift a little. If there is rust on the springs and contact points every time there is movement there will be noise.

Pull the wheel and do a visual on the brakes. with the drums off push the pads back and forth a little to see if you haer any creaking. Get some brake cleaner spray and doush down the whole assembly. If the shoes are still in good shape, the springs are all in place and resonably good and the drums are ok put everything back and see if it still creaks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.