Squeal/Squeak when Driving...help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Squeal/Squeak when Driving...help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Squeal/Squeak when Driving...help!

Hello all! I've been looking all over to see if anyone has my same issue and while I've found similar issues, I think mine is a little different.

I recently purchased a 2009 Wrangler Unlimited with about 55k miles on it. About a month after I got it, I started noticing a faint squeal/squeak sound when driving. Having the vehicle now for about 4 months now it has only gotten louder. If anyone has any ideas on where I should start if greatly appreciate it.

In-depth Description of Problem:
The sound is rhythmic like its something moving around and at a point in the rotary motion it squeaks. When I drive slower, the squeaks are further apart and when I drive faster they are closer together. The sound is most noticeable between 10-35mph. It seems to lessen when I make extreme turns but that could be due to my speed changing. When I break, the squeak is still persistent but changes in sound.

My first thought was the brakes so I had them checked out and "supposedly" the issue was the rotors needed to be turned. They said my pads were good. After that it seemed to lessen but after a week it was right back. It's only gotten worse sense then.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. If you need more details please ask! Thanks!

ciphershort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
Reelm n Rubi
Fish fear me

2003 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like a ujoint to me. Any vibrations?
Kieth Black forged 944 pistons
Comp Cams custom ground camshaft
505 Performance PCM
Split Second Engineering fuel/timing management
Tom Woods CV driveshaft
50 lb/hr Trick Flow injectors
4" Full Traction LA with Bilstein 7100's
JKS 1" MM,BL. TeraFlex engine and steering armor
4.88's w/ 35 " Toyo Open Country m/t's
Moser Chromoly axle shafts front, Superior D44 rear
Warn 9.5ti on a M.O.R.E hi clearance bumper
Reid racing knuckles, Warn premium hubs
PIAA 525's, and 510's

XBOX Gamertag- ISHAGDyurGURL

For SALE-- standard drop pitman arm redrilled with new 1 ton GM tye rod end (bottom mount). Perfect $30
Reelm n Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply! I was beginning to think I wasn't going to get any. There don't seem to be any vibrations when I hear the sound. Is the u-joint something that is expensive to replace? Anything I can do to make sure this is what it is? Thanks again.
Unread 01-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphershort
Thanks for the reply! I was beginning to think I wasn't going to get any. There don't seem to be any vibrations when I hear the sound. Is the u-joint something that is expensive to replace? Anything I can do to make sure this is what it is? Thanks again.
Ujoints are between 20 and 25$ each. If your joints are serviceable you might want to just do a quick lube.

Does the squeak go away when you hit the break? If not I would rule that out. Also warped rotors will usually cause the vehicle to vibrate or the pedal to vibrate when the brakes are depressed.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Well at least it's not expensive if it is that. The sound seems to diminish in sound but may increase in pitch some. Like I said before, I had my rotors checked and resurfaced. There really isn't any vibrations in the vehicle, just the sound.
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

I had another local place look at it yesterday. The front brake pads were shot and the rear didn't have any anti-rattle clips installed so the pads were loose. Looks like I won't be going back to the first place again since they looked at my brakes and thought it was just my rotors. Oh well the noise is gone!
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphershort
I had another local place look at it yesterday. The front brake pads were shot and the rear didn't have any anti-rattle clips installed so the pads were loose. Looks like I won't be going back to the first place again since they looked at my brakes and thought it was just my rotors. Oh well the noise is gone!
Nice! Yeah whenever I do breaks I turn rotors and do the pads at the same time. Its cheap and I don't want to pull it apart again.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Well I'm pissed... The noise has started back again. It is faint, but this is how it started the first time and it only got louder. On the way home tonight I recorded the sound with my phone and enhanced the audio so you can hear the noise.

Here's the link to the audio file. I hope this works:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...rake_noise.wav

If anyone has ANY clue to what is making this god forsaken noise please let me know! I've had it to two different places and spent almost $200 and it still isn't fixed apparently... Just makes me want to scream! Thanks in advance!
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

dont know if jk's get angry sparrows, my tj had it and i just rebuilt the front driveshaft
eduardostewart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the response. I just read up on that but the noise only happens when I press on my brakes about medium way. Is that typical of the "angry sparrows" issue if it driveshaft related? I've always thought it was brake related since the noise only happened when I braked...but then again I'm no mechanic.
Unread 10-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Well months later and the problem is still there. I have diagnosed it to a single wheel tho. It is coming from the back driver side wheel when braking. Not sure if something is loose or what. I had a friend ride in the back with the doors and top off and he hung out the side and listened as I drove and hit the brake about 50%. He said it was definitely coming from that wheel. Anything specific to a single wheel that could cause that to happen? Whatever it is, it is definitely spinning and only creaks at a single point during the rotation. Sounds like a creaking door almost when driving slow and braking. So annoying...
Unread 10-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
Live4Jeeps
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to get your hopes up with my reply but unfortunately I don't have an answer for you. However, my 2001 TJ has the exact same issue and same noise, only mine does it constantly, not only while braking. So I'll subscribe to this thread and if you figure it out let me know. I'll let you know the same. Mines been ongoing for about 5 months now
Live4Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Well if it makes it constantly, it may be a u-joint issue according to what I've read. Since mine only happens when I brake, I wouldn't think it to be a u-joint issue. I'll probably end up taking it to a mechanic and let them try and figure it out. Gotta save up some $$$ first because there is no telling what it is or how much it will cost haha.
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
Live4Jeeps
2001 TJ Wrangler 

See I know what a u joint squeal is, and this isn't it. It chirps with every rotation of the tire, not the driveshaft. I've replaced plenty of ujoints over time and this has no resemblance to the sound a ujoint makes :/
Live4Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #15
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Ahh. Gotcha. Well it sounds like our issues may be similar. Like I've said, I took it into two different places to have it checked out thinking it was brake related. Both places did different things and it still makes the sound. The first place claims to have turned the rotors and the second place replaced pads for me. If logic is anywhere in this problem, it would tell me that something is not "true". It's almost like something is warped and is grinding/rubbing metal on metal at some point in the rotation of the tire. I'm no brake expert, but I did get under there and look one day. My brake assembly did seem a little "loose" on that tire (I could grab it and move it left and right with my hand a little) so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.