spark plug change question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > spark plug change question...

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-09-2004, 11:41 PM   #1
1994Wrangler

spark plug change question...

I changed my spark plugs on my 97 GC with 4.0 today. I dont have a torque wrench so I just tightened them pretty good and snugg... but not tightening them with my body weight(like a lug nut would be tightened).

But on the plug nearest to the front I had problems... The air conditioner wouldnt let me get to it without one of those swivel extensions.When I went to put the plug back in I had to put the plug into the socket and sort of throw it at the hole... then turn until it got into place... it felt like it hit the threads so I put the ratchet back on and started tightening it. But it seemed alittle tight trying to tighten the plug back into the hole, tighter than the others. But the plus tightened all the way down like the others.. it was just alittle tighter throughout the threads. I was just wondering if its a possibillity that I cross threaded it?

The jeep runs great.. No misses or anything.

Thanks for anyone that helps!

Josh

1994Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2004, 06:51 AM   #2
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

It may of just had some dirt or something on the threads which made it harder. You would almost certainly know if you cross threaded it. If everything is working fine I wouldn't worry to much. If it aint broke, don't fix it

If you really think you may have cross threaded it, take it out. Inspect the threads of abnormal wear. If the threads look ok, then put it back in, if the threads are all messed up, get a new plug and make sure the thread on the engine are looking decent. Put some antiseize on the threads if its not already on there.

Good Luck
Unread 04-10-2004, 09:19 AM   #3
1994Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHarnett
It may of just had some dirt or something on the threads which made it harder. You would almost certainly know if you cross threaded it. If everything is working fine I wouldn't worry to much. If it aint broke, don't fix it

If you really think you may have cross threaded it, take it out. Inspect the threads of abnormal wear. If the threads look ok, then put it back in, if the threads are all messed up, get a new plug and make sure the thread on the engine are looking decent. Put some antiseize on the threads if its not already on there.

Good Luck

Thanks alot for your input!!

Im sure it didnt cross thread.. I was just worried because where the plug was so hard to get to and I just had to put the plug in the socket and put it in the general area of the hole and twist until it caught the threads.. Man that one is so hard:/
1994Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2004, 09:26 AM   #4
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

I always always start the plugs with a finger twist till I can't twist no more, this way your are sure you don't cross thread. This goes for any bolt really. The only plug I have a hard time with is for #6, its so far back there and with a lifted Jeep, its tough trying to balance yourself over the engine, haha.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.