Spark Plug Boots - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Spark Plug Boots

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-13-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
Jerry All-Bran

Spark Plug Boots

Wanted to change the spark plugs, but the boots won't give. Already ripped one, was wondering what kind of tricks you guys know...

Cheers,

Nov

Jerry All-Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #2
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Put a thin coat of good dielectric grease on the inside of them every time you change plugs.
Unread 04-13-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
Jerry All-Bran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgertsch
Put a thin coat of good dielectric grease on the inside of them every time you change plugs.
You see, i kinda want to take them off...and i haven't changed nor touched the boots ever since i got the jeep (2yrs..i know...) and they just won't budge...
Unread 04-13-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
Test
2007 WK 

Use a spark plug wire puller if you aren't already and just try to get a good grip on it. Had the same problem with mine.
Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
Dudewayne
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Get a a pair of pliars and at the base of the boot, grab it with the pliars while holding the plug wire in your hand. Pull the wire and the boot with the pliars at the same time. arounf the boot, do not crush the plug with the pliars.

If you are replacing the wires anyway, don't worry about the boot, just pull the wire out of the top of the boot and then once the wire is out of the boot grab the end with pliars and pull.

Remember to do one wire at a time to avoid a wire mix up, and the jeep not running at all or firing wrong.

If your plug wires are stuck on that badly, I would say they have been on way too long and should be replaced anyway.
Red Jeep Club Member #350
"I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY....I ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT !!!
Dudewayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
Jerry All-Bran

I got them out...the damn things were on there pretty good. Ended up changing the plug wires. Tried taking them out without damaging them, but that didn't workout all that great. Note to self: change spark plugs more frequently. Thanks dudes

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.