sound coming from 8.8, not a noob, lots of details. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > sound coming from 8.8, not a noob, lots of details.

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

sound coming from 8.8, not a noob, lots of details.

just installed a ford 8.8 from an explorer with 100K miles. disk brakes, LSD, 4.10, no noticeable play when i try to wiggle parts around. the only play is very slight at the axle shafts. its only noticeable by feel, cant see or hear the wiggle, i was told a very small amount of play like this is normal EDIT: this play im describing is not in-out play (c-clip, i know thats normal play for sure) im talking about up/down/left/right play. Also note that my e-brake is a little tight (i pull up the handle and it stops at 1/2 of the way up) by that i mean, all the way up would be if theres no e-brake on it and you just yank it all the way up. the e-brakes are also a little uneven, when it was on stands with motor running, and i pull the ebrake a little, the passenger side would stop moving while the driver side would not be held as tight by the ebrake as the right side so it would keep spinning a bit slower. (yeah it's LSD but its a little loose imo). Note that while i was working on it, i noticed the bearing cap bolts were loose, properly re-tightened them to the correct torque spec.

after installation, it was great, no noises or vibes. went for a 10 mile drive down the freeway and it sat in a parking lot for a few hours. then i go back on the freeway and i hear the noise im about to describe.

noticeable above 10mph if you're listening for it. definitely noticeable at highway speeds. My tires are very chunky and in need of replacement. The noise is somewhat quiet, noise of the tires is louder. First thing i thought of was the noise those old VCR tapes made when you rewind it. its kind-of like a whine, also like a whining motor from a crappy car, whining power steering pump also somewhat describes it. It seems like its coming from the back, but my head likes to play tricks on me so it could possibly be coming from a different location.

Im thinking its a bearing in there somewhere might be starting to die. my hope is that it's just probably the clutch pack in the diff which i plan to change out anyways, or just the ebrakes..

I will be getting new tires within a few weeks so when i get those on i will definitely be able to pinpoint the noise. Until then, will I be ok driving around, even a little offroading? What do you think it could be? has this happened to anyone else? to you? thanks for input.

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.